Question about Red Sea alk?

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does Red Sea recommend and alk of 11.5dkh in there reef care recipe for a mixed reef? This seems really high to me compared to what I see everyone else mostly keeping there's at.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why they recommend such a value but I do know there are a lot of different values floating out there as the recommended alkalinity value for reef aquariums. That may be the value they've had success with in their R and D efforts whereas other companies have had success with other values. There's not really a whole lot of sound evidence as to which level is best and different levels of other water chemistry elements can interact with and influence alkalinity too. I'd just try to stay stable at a level of around 8-10 dkh and closely watch your corals to see how they are doing, they are the best indicators for water chemistry in my opinion.

xjiang7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes some sense it's in their mixed reef the nutritions are kept higher so this high alk may not be problematic. However I can't see sps in a mixed reef or sps dominated should has different requirements. Maybe just to sell their pro salt?

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea has found that for maximum coral growth your alkalinity should be high (11.5). But, that is for established systems that want fully grown out corals. If you are like me and have a tank full of frags that you want to take your time with you are fine to stay around 9'ish. That's why they offer two salts (one with lower alkalinity and one with the higher alkalinity).
At least that is how I understand it.

Back