Question about repairing a tank frame

Scott_AR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The inside rim of my tank's top frame has long been damaged--it's not the part holding the sides together, but the little ledge that extends out into the tank. Hadn't been a big deal, but for various reasons I want to change to a lid that would sit on that inside rim.

I've tried to look for a replacement frame to no avail, so I was thinking I could trim out that damaged section and attach a wide L-shaped plastic trim strip in its place, gluing the wider part of the L to the glass just below the frame (pointing down) with the shorter part replacing the ledge. I don't need to replace the whole ledge, just about 4-5" on one side, and 8-10" on another the adjacent side.

I've been having trouble finding some of the recommended silicones around here--e.g., the Momentive RTV100 series, which has gotten crazy expensive online. Would this be what I need, anyway? Is there a more suitable product, considering the unusual use?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn’t you use an aquarium safe silicone epoxy like the kind folks use to seal tanks and stuff?

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several online sources for replacement frames (one such is aquariumframewholesale.com). You could also consider having an aluminum or stainless steel frame fabricated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back