Question about salinity

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to keep the salinity of my tank (20g) at 35ppm. With water changes, it fluctuates +/- 1ppm. First, is this a big deal? What about 2ppm?

Second if my salinity is a little high, as above, can I just raise my ATO fill sensor a little to lower salinity slightly over time, and vice-versa if salinity is a little low?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have been trying to keep the salinity of my tank (20g) at 35ppm. With water changes, it fluctuates +/- 1ppm. First, is this a big deal? What about 2ppm?

Second if my salinity is a little high, as above, can I just raise my ATO fill sensor a little to lower salinity slightly over time, and vice-versa if salinity is a little low?
Your fluctuation is acceptable
Have you calibrated your tester?

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I assume you mean ppt. No, not a big deal. As VetteGuy said, calibration can swing that much (always best to cal before you test). Might depend some on how sensitive your corals are but I've done 34 to 35 corrections at one time with no issues. 2 ppt I may spread out over a couple days, but I may not. My corals have never shown any adverse effects to salinity changes.

To drop I usually just take some out (have a nano as well), and let the ATO take care of it.

OP
OP
Scottrshoe

Scottrshoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fluctuation is acceptable
Have you calibrated your tester?

I assume you mean ppt. No, not a big deal. As VetteGuy said, calibration can swing that much (always best to cal before you test). Might depend some on how sensitive your corals are but I've done 34 to 35 corrections at one time with no issues. 2 ppt I may spread out over a couple days, but I may not. My corals have never shown any adverse effects to salinity changes.

To drop I usually just take some out (have a nano as well), and let the ATO take care of it.
Thank You! And yes, I did mean ppt :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, although salinity shouldn't bounce around if the sensor is at the same height. Be sure you are not chasing test error. Most devices aren't good to better than +/- 1 ppt.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 20g nano with Tunze ato the SG is very stable. It runs 1.0265.
I keep it between 1.026 and 1.027 with no issues.
With a proper ato you sg should be very stable even in your small system.
20220726_120015.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back