Question about tang aggression and adding more tangs

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So realistically, I should have added all 4 tangs I wanted to add to my tank all at once, but that is irrelevant at this point. To start, my tank had a 4-5" blue hippo and a 4-5" orange striped bristletooth tang. The first week, the bristletooth was circling the powerhead for nearly a week and not eating a whole lot/looking skinny. It started eating pretty good, stopped circling the powerhead, but never really fattened up much.

A few weeks later I added an 4-5" achilles tang and a 3-4" purple tang. The purple tang was beat up bad the very next day even though I never seen any aggression. It was a tough fish and lingered on a few days, couldn't get clove oil in time otherwise I probably would have helped it not suffer because I knew he wasn't going to make it. I am not sure if it got spooked and got hurt on a rock or if it was aggression. A little more than a week later, my bristletooth tang died. No signs of aggression or illness. I am assuming the stress of adding the other fish contributed to it not thriving since it already had a hard time eating in the beginning.

I waited a month and added another purple tang. This time I used an acclimation box and kept the purple tang in it for a few days to try to ease aggression. I let it out and the achilles already started with him. That aggression lasted a few days but subsided as each day passed. Then all was good for over a week. Then the purple tang went missing and I seen it under a little rock dead getting picked at by the cuc.

All tangs were quarantined. The achilles is doing unbelievably well and obviously seemed to take the role of the boss of the tank and is starting to fatten up. It ate very well every since I added it. Blue hippo doing well and growing well. My goal is to have 4 tangs and the last two I am trying to have be the purple tang and some sort of bristletooth tang.

What can I do to make this happen and not lose any more tangs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So realistically, I should have added all 4 tangs I wanted to add to my tank all at once, but that is irrelevant at this point. To start, my tank had a 4-5" blue hippo and a 4-5" orange striped bristletooth tang. The first week, the bristletooth was circling the powerhead for nearly a week and not eating a whole lot/looking skinny. It started eating pretty good, stopped circling the powerhead, but never really fattened up much.

A few weeks later I added an 4-5" achilles tang and a 3-4" purple tang. The purple tang was beat up bad the very next day even though I never seen any aggression. It was a tough fish and lingered on a few days, couldn't get clove oil in time otherwise I probably would have helped it not suffer because I knew he wasn't going to make it. I am not sure if it got spooked and got hurt on a rock or if it was aggression. A little more than a week later, my bristletooth tang died. No signs of aggression or illness. I am assuming the stress of adding the other fish contributed to it not thriving since it already had a hard time eating in the beginning.

I waited a month and added another purple tang. This time I used an acclimation box and kept the purple tang in it for a few days to try to ease aggression. I let it out and the achilles already started with him. That aggression lasted a few days but subsided as each day passed. Then all was good for over a week. Then the purple tang went missing and I seen it under a little rock dead getting picked at by the cuc.

All tangs were quarantined. The achilles is doing unbelievably well and obviously seemed to take the role of the boss of the tank and is starting to fatten up. It ate very well every since I added it. Blue hippo doing well and growing well. My goal is to have 4 tangs and the last two I am trying to have be the purple tang and some sort of bristletooth tang.

What can I do to make this happen and not lose any more tangs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I add a mirror to keep the boss tang busy for a day or two. I added my tangs one by one and this has worked for me each time. But it’s not certain to work. Some fish are unique some aquariums are set up differently so the best thing you can do is make sure your tangs have enough hiding places and enough food to feel safe. Achilles are known to be very aggressive to other tangs so the longer he’s in there as top dog the more he’s gonna want to play king of the hill

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off what size tank, that’s make a huge difference.

Back