question about transferring corals...

  • Thread starter Thread starter bigfoot86
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

bigfoot86

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 5, 2013
Messages
308
Reaction score
7
Location
PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 29 gal. reef tank for bout 2 1/2 years now, severe cyano problem that I treated a few times and came back. I started a 90 gal. reef tank about 8 months ago now thats been doin great. Most of everything is out of the small tank which I plan on tearing down, except for a few corals. How should I go about transferring the last few corals into the bigger tank? Should I just blows the cyano off the rocks the corals are on and then just cut the corals away from the rock? Don't know if that's a good idea tho, I don't want to seed the big tank with this algae.
 
Cyanobacteria is not an algae per say, but actually a bacteria. I'm sure you've done plenty of reading on the root causes of Cyanobacteria.
Are you wanting to save the rock at all? Reusing it maybe? Or are you just wanting the corals that are attached to it?
You wont be seeding the tank with Cyano. As it's not so much the rock that's the issue. Excess nutrients, poor flow, old lighting, high phosphates and poor husbandry are the root causes.
Using new water I would gently scrub the rock and just rinse well then add it to your tank.
 
Last edited:
Just wanted the corals off the rock that's it. I will take your advice, that sounds like a good idea. Thank you!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new