Question About Velvet

SaltyDawgie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted about a week ago and got some great advice on treating Velvet. I lost 7 fish to the disease, but I have 4 remaining fish that are looking better and better everyday. So much thanks to all who helped me.

In the research I have done on Velvet, it appears that the longest time any of the strains can stay on the fish while feeding on it is 4 days. My copper level has been consistently in the therapeutic range for 6 days. So can I safely assume that the parasite is no longer on the fish? Is the Velvet now in the "free swimmers" stage and as long as I continue to keep a therapeutic level of copper, I will be able to stop it short of evolving to the stage of reattaching to my fish?

If the above is true, would it be possible to shortcut the 30 days of treating with Copper and do the following:
1. Set up another QT.
2. Net my 4 fish out of the QT tank with Copper.
3. Put the fish into the new QT tank.

Could I do this and stop treating with Copper? Am I correct in understanding that the "free swimmers" will be left behind in the QT medicated with Copper?

The main reason I am wanting to shortcut the 30 days of treating with Copper if possible is because 2 of my 4 fish are not eating. They have not eaten for 6 days. Zero interest in food. I am soaking it in garlic too.

Thanks much for any advice.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be possible in theory, but in practice it isn’t the clear cut - the thought is that some velvet imbeds deep in the gills and doesn’t follow the normal cycle. To do this effectively, one study showed a peroxide dip during the move made it more effective (I’d have to calculate the dose for you though)
What fish aren’t eating? What copper product are you using? It is likely that copper isn’t the issue here.,.
Jay

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you are doing. I personally thing 14 days is fine, if you then move the fish to a verifiably sterile tank. But I would not go less than that.

OP
OP
SaltyDawgie

SaltyDawgie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be possible in theory, but in practice it isn’t the clear cut - the thought is that some velvet imbeds deep in the gills and doesn’t follow the normal cycle. To do this effectively, one study showed a peroxide dip during the move made it more effective (I’d have to calculate the dose for you though)
What fish aren’t eating? What copper product are you using? It is likely that copper isn’t the issue here.,.
Jay
I am using Cupramine. My 2 Cardinalfish are not eating. I have watched them closely and they don't touch the food. It hits them in the face and they are oblivious.

My Tomini Tang and my Ocellaris Clownfish are chowing down and looking good.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinalfish are not overtly sensitive to copper. Were they eating well before copper? Have your tried live brine shrimp on them? If you hadn't already lost a number of fish, I would be thinking more about the copper, but in this case, I worry that it is some legacy from that event that is keeping them from feeding.

Jay

OP
OP
SaltyDawgie

SaltyDawgie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinalfish are not overtly sensitive to copper. Were they eating well before copper? Have your tried live brine shrimp on them? If you hadn't already lost a number of fish, I would be thinking more about the copper, but in this case, I worry that it is some legacy from that event that is keeping them from feeding.

Jay

OP
OP
SaltyDawgie

SaltyDawgie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent idea. They have never been finicky eaters before this. I am picking up some live brine shrimp today and will try it.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back