Question about wall hammer

StevenH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ello all. So, I bought this wall hammer about a month ago, when I first got it home, it extended great. Always open. Then, two weeks ago tho, it has stayed closed. Ive done everything from water changes, carbon (for coral toxins) moving it from sand bed to rockwork.

It sits in low flow low light areas, and nothing I do will make this thing open up. I spent 120$ on this thing, and I would really hate to lose this thing.

All water peramiters are good. Salinity is good,
79 degrees, and using T5 lighting.

I notice it has pooped twice in the last week. It should come back to full bloom tho no? I'm totally lost.
IMG_20180805_114724_044.jpg

153367891994521800434.jpg

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ello all. So, I bought this wall hammer about a month ago, when I first got it home, it extended great. Always open. Then, two weeks ago tho, it has stayed closed. Ive done everything from water changes, carbon (for coral toxins) moving it from sand bed to rockwork.

It sits in low flow low light areas, and nothing I do will make this thing open up. I spent 120$ on this thing, and I would really hate to lose this thing.

All water peramiters are good. Salinity is good,
79 degrees, and using T5 lighting.

I notice it has pooped twice in the last week. It should come back to full bloom tho no? I'm totally lost.
IMG_20180805_114724_044.jpg

153367891994521800434.jpg
So did it close up when it was next to your other hammer? I’ve had mine in the same spot in the sand bed the whole time I’ve had it. I have leds which I run whites at 15% and blues about 70 %. I don’t know if lighting is your problem. Did you dip it before placing it in your tank? They say they are the hardest to keep but I’ve havent encountered any issues of that nature to date.

OP
OP
StevenH

StevenH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did it close up when it was next to your other hammer? I’ve had mine in the same spot in the sand bed the whole time I’ve had it. I have leds which I run whites at 15% and blues about 70 %. I don’t know if lighting is your problem. Did you dip it before placing it in your tank? They say they are the hardest to keep but I’ve havent encountered any issues of that nature to date.

I mean, its been sitting next to my other hammer yes, but the polyps never touched. It started to close in the mid section, then it just stopped opening up all together. I'm so frustrated with this thing I'm ready to just throw it in the trash. I never dipped it before putting it in my tank but it has been through two dips since it started to close up, using seachem coral dip. I have a coralife T5 fixture with two blue bulbs two daylight bulbs and two moonlight LEDs. It was perfectly fine for about two weeks. now it just stays closed like the other picture.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said that your parameters were good, can you share with us your test results?
I also see a lot of new rock in the first pic does that mean a fairly new tank set up?

OP
OP
StevenH

StevenH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said that your parameters were good, can you share with us your test results?
I also see a lot of new rock in the first pic does that mean a fairly new tank set up?

Cal 1250
DKH 9.0
Mag 1300
AM 0
po4 1.0
no3 2.5

The tank is about 4 months old in total, the rock however came from another tank, but I flipped it upside down and replaced it to expose the whiter rock parts. I like the look of the white rock vs purple.

OP
OP
StevenH

StevenH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cal 1250
DKH 9.0
Mag 1300
AM 0
po4 1.0
no3 2.5

The tank is about 4 months old in total, the rock however came from another tank, but I flipped it upside down and replaced it to expose the whiter rock parts. I like the look of the white rock vs purple.

I should also mention that all of the corals with the exception of like 12 are from one of my older tanks also, had to break it down and setup a new one due to a seam split in the last tank.

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aussie hammers touch each other and my frog spawn and wall hammer do also that’s not an issue. I wouldn’t throw in the towel just yet. How long is your lighting cycle? What kind of lighting did the lfs have it under?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cal 1250
DKH 9.0
Mag 1300
AM 0
po4 1.0
no3 2.5

Ok, before someone else is smacking you with a baseball bat :rolleyes: explain the CAL at 1250 :confused: and
Po4 at 1.0 o_O
With what test kits?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back