Question for plumbing experts

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please tell me if this will work? I can't do an exact "Bean Animal" in my overflow without cutting things I would rather not cut.

The primary (full siphon) pipe is straight - no "hook" on the top. The secondary has the "hook" and will have a siphon hole once I drill it. The emergency drain is far right.

The secondary (open channel) hangs above the primary (full siphon) with about 2 inches between them. Will this cause a problem? With the system based on water level I feel like it should be fine but if anyone thinks differently please share your knowledge
1.gif

Thanks in advance.
overflow plumbing2.jpg

Cross posted in Wisconsin Reef Society

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please tell me if this will work? I can't do an exact "Bean Animal" in my overflow without cutting things I would rather not cut.

The primary (full siphon) pipe is straight - no "hook" on the top. The secondary has the "hook" and will have a siphon hole once I drill it. The emergency drain is far right.

The secondary (open channel) hangs above the primary (full siphon) with about 2 inches between them. Will this cause a problem? With the system based on water level I feel like it should be fine but if anyone thinks differently please share your knowledge
1.gif

Thanks in advance.
overflow plumbing2.jpg

Cross posted in Wisconsin Reef Society

You could just skip the U shape on the secondary all together and just put it at an appropriate height shorter than the emergency :)

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could just skip the U shape on the secondary all together and just put it at an appropriate height shorter than the emergency :)

I wondered if that would have an impact as it doesn't have a siphon break...but it also seems like it should work if the secondary is high enough (which I think it is ) :)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wondered if that would have an impact as it doesn't have a siphon break...but it also seems like it should work if the secondary is high enough (which I think it is ) :)

As the water height gets lowered to the secondary drain it will naturally pull air in and break the full siphon. (Basically how every Herbie drain is set up):)

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back