Question for stocking my 20g Waterbox

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning folks. As I am finally getting to the point of stocking, I wanted to ask a question about fish compatibility. So far I know I will have a pair of clowns, and way down the road attempt a mandarin goby. My question is on my final fish, a diamond watchman goby. I have had them before and love the personality. However, I read they are more for 30g + tanks and I have been told about other gobies, so question is do they all do the sand sifting thing? Is that a goby trait? Or only specific species? Thanks for input.

1613058379709.png

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby names can be a little confusing.

Despite sometimes being called "watchmen," diamond gobies aren't watchman gobies. That name is supposed to be for gobies that pair with pistol shrimp. Diamond gobies are sand-sifting gobies, sometimes called sleeper gobies. They and their close relatives sift sand for food.

Watchmen/shrimp gobies will sift a little bit, but not constantly, and they eat other foods much easier.

If you want a diamond goby for your 20 gallon, make sure it's one that you see eat at the store. My estimation is that most of that species either starve or go carpet surfing. A tight fitting lid is imperative. 20 gallons is small for one.

A mandarin will be really difficult to keep healthy in a 20 gallon, because of their diet requirements.

OP
OP
jramy123

jramy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goby names can be a little confusing.

Despite sometimes being called "watchmen," diamond gobies aren't watchman gobies. That name is supposed to be for gobies that pair with pistol shrimp. Diamond gobies are sand-sifting gobies, sometimes called sleeper gobies. They and their close relatives sift sand for food.

Watchmen/shrimp gobies will sift a little bit, but not constantly, and they eat other foods much easier.

If you want a diamond goby for your 20 gallon, make sure it's one that you see eat at the store. My estimation is that most of that species either starve or go carpet surfing. A tight fitting lid is imperative. 20 gallons is small for one.

A mandarin will be really difficult to keep healthy in a 20 gallon, because of their diet requirements.
Is there any sand sifting fish that would do ok in a 20? Also I am seeding pods and phyto and have a growing fuge in my AIO. I know mandarins are tough but I am hoping to try one, just not till at least a year of tank being up. Thanks for advice though, I may have rethink my stocking :D

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the dimensions? Is it the cube?

A 20 long would be okay, as long as the diamond goby eats prepared foods at the store.

Some of the watchman gobies would be fine, yellow and yasha are popular.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back