Question for the wrasse experts

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all wrasse shy when first introduced a tank ? I added a yellow flank wrasse a big fat healthy one. Its came out once or twice in the am and pm, but has been hiding all day. I added a female leopard wrasse at the same time and it's swimming all over the place. Is this normal ?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are all wrasse shy when first introduced a tank ? I added a yellow flank wrasse a big fat healthy one. Its came out once or twice in the am and pm, but has been hiding all day. I added a female leopard wrasse at the same time and it's swimming all over the place. Is this normal ?

Yes, some wrasses will stay buried for a few days when first introduced to a new tank.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even a yellow flank ? I thought they didn't bury in sand.

Not an wrasse expert, just a wrasse lover.

No, I assume the one you're referring to is a Cirrhilabrus (fairy) wrasse. They don't bury in the sand. It's not unusual for one to be shy for a while after introduction. I usually find most fairy wrasses settle in fairly quickly if healthy and not bullied. What other fish (especially wrasses) are in the tank and how big is your tank?

OP
OP
Eddie7144

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not an wrasse expert, just a wrasse lover.

No, I assume the one you're referring to is a Cirrhilabrus (fairy) wrasse. They don't bury in the sand. It's not unusual for one to be shy for a while after introduction. I usually find most fairy wrasses settle in fairly quickly if healthy and not bullied. What other fish (especially wrasses) are in the tank and how big is your tank?
I have a pintail wrasse, 2 clowns, 2 Springer damsels, strawberry basslet,copper banded butterfly and a pinktail trigger.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pintail wrasse is very mild and should not cause problems, the chrysiptera damsels usually aren't a problem. The only fish that might be a problem would be the "strawberry basslet" which is actually a dottyback. They sometimes don't play nice with wrasse shaped fish. Just keep an eye out for any aggression. Hopefully he's just getting over his introduction shyness!

OP
OP
Eddie7144

Eddie7144

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pintail wrasse is very mild and should not cause problems, the chrysiptera damsels usually aren't a problem. The only fish that might be a problem would be the "strawberry basslet" which is actually a dottyback. They sometimes don't play nice with wrasse shaped fish. Just keep an eye out for any aggression. Hopefully he's just getting over his introduction shyness!
The dortyback hasnt even noticed him lol I saw the damsel give alittle chase when he wandered into its area other than that he was left alone

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 43.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 38 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back