Question on a Aquamax HOB skimmer

  • Thread starter Thread starter enzo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

enzo

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 23, 2015
Messages
336
Reaction score
172
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this skimmer, the idea of how it works and the style. Question, does anyone know how to slow down the salt and calcium build up in the air intake on the pump. Because im taking it apart once a month to open the air hole(can the hole be opened a little more). Im also thinking maybe to pour some fresh water every few days in the air tube. I dont know im just reaching. Also I'm losing bubbles because the collection cup is not straight. I put a straight edge on the collection cup and it's has a bow to it, any way to solve this. You can see that I put a piece of shim up there to try fill in the bow on the cup.
Thanks
1538827249125~2.jpeg
 
I have the same skimmer and have the same problem, except not as bad. I can go a couple/few months until I have to clear the air intake. I just remove the internal assembly (keeping the outside mounted to the tank), and soak it in a vinegar/water solution for a couple hours. Do you dose? If so, how much? Just wondering why yours gets blocked so fast.
 
I dont really dose, i just do weekly water changes. But ill try to use the vinegar cleaning. Are you losing bubbles by your collection cup.
 
Yes, as the air intake gets restricted, I get less bubbles and the skimmer is less efficient. Another thing I used to do instead of using vinegar was to take a cheap hanger, bend the hook till it was straight, and use it to scrape out the intake until it was clean. Anything like that would work. I think it’s more of a calcium buildup.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new