question on algae

Jonathanw1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just recently set up my aquarium and it is going through the ugly stage should I put a phosphate remover in the sump or let it be?

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just recently set up my aquarium and it is going through the ugly stage should I put a phosphate remover in the sump or let it be?
What do you have running for filtration currently? I’ve personally never used any sort of “remover” beyond cheato and a skimmer. But I tend to be low tech and let things ride as far as new tanks go. Tanks need a little time to go through their phases as they mature. Trying to adjust small things as you are cycling/maturing a tank starts to feel like a dog chasing its own tail for me. But that’s simply my method and it’s for sure not the only way to reef.
Do you know your water parameters at the moment?

OP
OP
J

Jonathanw1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What do you have running for filtration currently? I’ve personally never used any sort of “remover” beyond cheato and a skimmer. But I tend to be low tech and let things ride as far as new tanks go. Tanks need a little time to go through their phases as they mature. Trying to adjust small things as you are cycling/maturing a tank starts to feel like a dog chasing its own tail for me. But that’s simply my method and it’s for sure not the only way to reef.
Do you know your water parameters at the moment?
parameters using API test kit= ph 8.2
Amonia .25
Nitrate 0
Nitrate 10ppm

Filtration is

activated carbon
skimmer
sponge
bio max

Bpones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
parameters using API test kit= ph 8.2
Amonia .25
Nitrate 0
Nitrate 10ppm

Filtration is

activated carbon
skimmer
sponge
bio max
Nothing seems out of the ordinary to me. Some folks will have reasons for not running carbon but that’s not a phosphate thing. One option you have is do is small frequent water changes if you felt so incline. That’s always a reasonable way to export nutrients. Beyond that, I’d let things continue and get something in there that will assist you. A pleasing macro algae (Not grape caulerpa!) would love to remove some nitrates and phosphates.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add any removers or you may invite...
dinosaur GIF

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jonathanw1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nothing seems out of the ordinary to me. Some folks will have reasons for not running carbon but that’s not a phosphate thing. One option you have is do is small frequent water changes if you felt so incline. That’s always a reasonable way to export nutrients. Beyond that, I’d let things continue and get something in there that will assist you. A pleasing macro algae (Not grape caulerpa!) would love to remove some nitrates and phosphates.
ok, thanks for the help!

Alex_star

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the "ugly stage" of a newly set up saltwater aquarium, it's common to experience algae blooms and other unsightly issues as the tank's biological processes stabilize. Whether or not you should use a phosphate remover in your sump depends on the severity of the issue and your specific circumstances.

Here are some considerations:

1. **Assess Phosphate Levels:** First, test your water to determine the phosphate levels. If they are significantly elevated (above acceptable levels for a reef tank), it may be beneficial to use a phosphate remover.

2. **Natural Remediation:** In many cases, the "ugly stage" is a natural part of the tank's maturation process. Algae blooms and diatom outbreaks can occur as the tank establishes its biological balance. These issues often resolve themselves over time as beneficial microorganisms and algae-eating organisms develop.

3. **Tank Size:** The size of your aquarium matters. In smaller tanks, issues like high phosphate levels can escalate more quickly and have a more significant impact on water quality. In larger tanks, these issues may be more manageable without the need for chemical additives.

4. **Livestock:** Consider the inhabitants of your tank. Some reef organisms, like corals and certain invertebrates, are sensitive to changes in water chemistry. If you have sensitive livestock, it might be prudent to address phosphate issues more proactively.

5. **Maintenance and Nutrient Control:** Focus on good husbandry practices, including regular water changes, proper filtration, and careful feeding. These practices can help control nutrient levels naturally and reduce the need for chemical additives.

If you do decide to use a phosphate remover, follow the manufacturer's instructions carefully and monitor your water parameters regularly. It's essential to strike a balance between addressing water quality issues and not overcorrecting, which can lead to its own set of problems.

I hope I was able to help as best I could happy reef keeping!!!!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copepods are small crustaceans that are great at helping with algae especially diatoms and are a great food source for fish. Some fish they are the only food source. I get mine every few months from Dinkins Aquatic Gardens. You can google their benefits. Happy reefing.

OP
OP
J

Jonathanw1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Copepods are small crustaceans that are great at helping with algae especially diatoms and are a great food source for fish. Some fish they are the only food source. I get mine every few months from Dinkins Aquatic Gardens. You can google their benefits. Happy reefing.
13.5 gallons and i have astrea and cerith snails
5 astrea
3 cerith

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13.5 gallons and i have astrea and cerith snails
5 astrea
3 cerith
What type cerith?
You could add about 10 dwarf cerith snails, the dwarfs only get about 1/2 inch long full grown. They eat pretty much any type algae and they are small enough to get into the corners and stuff.
Might also look into an Urchin, I have a Purple, this type can be handled and wont sting you. I just had to pull cleaner shrimp molt off mine this morning.

OP
OP
J

Jonathanw1234

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What type cerith?
You could add about 10 dwarf cerith snails, the dwarfs only get about 1/2 inch long full grown. They eat pretty much any type algae and they are small enough to get into the corners and stuff.
Might also look into an Urchin, I have a Purple, this type can be handled and wont sting you. I just had to pull cleaner shrimp molt off mine this morning.
I have thought about an urchin but i was under the impression that they eat coralline algae, is this true?

And on adding more ceriths i don't see any need for it now because my algae has gone away quite substantially
Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back