Question on carbon

stevepaynr84

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 11, 2015
Messages
173
Reaction score
194
Location
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've just been given a load of atm supernova FRESHWATER carbon that someone was getting rid of. Now this may seem like an obvious question but can I use this in my marine tank? Obviously I know that the bacteria it is apparently seeded with will die and I don't want to get into the argument of how good their supernova is or not as I use their marine carbon all the time and have found it far superior to other manufacturers (not saying it is any better just that it works better in my setup) I'm just wondering if I can put off buying marine stuff for a month and use this or wether it's just good for the bin?
 
As far as I know, carbon is carbon. I don't think it matters. Normally carbon isn't used as biological media anyways (since it is replaced so often) so I wouldn't worry about losing whatever it was seeded with.
 
There's nothing about granular activated carbon itself that makes it suitable for fresh and not marine, or marine and not fresh.

The bacteria they put on it may die.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new