Question on Copper Treatment/Fallow Period

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried searching the forums, but I couldn't figure out how to word the question to get the results I needed. I'm two weeks into a 6 week fallow period, and I've got questions/concerns:

1. While running fallow is it still safe to feed pieces of shrimp to my anemones? I ask this because the other day my emerald crab stole a good sized chunk of shrimp from one of my nems, and now I'm worried that ich/velvet could use this piece of shrimp to propagate.

2. When transferring fish out of copper, how do you ensure that you don't put copper into your display? I currently have seven fish that survived my ich/velvet outbreak (still not sure which it was, some fish died super fast, others took up to a week), sitting in my 45g QT tank with copper. After lowering the copper with cuprisorb (does this even work with copper power?) Am I then safe to just catch them and move them to the main DT, or do I need to put them in another tank or bucket first to wash off any remaining copper?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. Yes
2. There are multiple ways to do it. I catch the fish with a soft net, put it into my hand - and drop it in (i.e. you do not need to dip IMHO into another bucket - BUT - I have heard that people do this.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. You need a fish host for ich/velvet. The shrimp will not be a problem.
2. Cuprisorb works on all formulations of copper. It says it on the bottle.
3. Transfer them to a bucket with the aquarium water in it. Then transfer them to the DT. Even if you don’t do this, a tiny bit of copper is not going to do anything in the DT.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I tried searching the forums, but I couldn't figure out how to word the question to get the results I needed. I'm two weeks into a 6 week fallow period, and I've got questions/concerns:

1. While running fallow is it still safe to feed pieces of shrimp to my anemones? I ask this because the other day my emerald crab stole a good sized chunk of shrimp from one of my nems, and now I'm worried that ich/velvet could use this piece of shrimp to propagate.

2. When transferring fish out of copper, how do you ensure that you don't put copper into your display? I currently have seven fish that survived my ich/velvet outbreak (still not sure which it was, some fish died super fast, others took up to a week), sitting in my 45g QT tank with copper. After lowering the copper with cuprisorb (does this even work with copper power?) Am I then safe to just catch them and move them to the main DT, or do I need to put them in another tank or bucket first to wash off any remaining copper?
the little copper on the fish versus tank volume is well below detectable. As for fallow, enjoy the tank as if fish were in it. The 45-60 day time span goes quickly when you have critters to enjoy.
Mn fish polished the questions

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 40.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back