Question on drill for drilling glass

  • Thread starter Thread starter SteveO83
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Yea,
I've never done it, but they say clamping a 1X4 to the back side of the glass will help to make a clean pass through cut.

With a tank drilled last month I am up to 1500 tanks drilled since I started doing it in the 80's. A simple slow drill and a steady had and letting the bit do all the work is all you need to do.
 
@reefwiser that is allot of holes! LOL Which bits to you prefer, and how many holes are you getting out of one before you start to see them stop cutting well. I saw someone who does this all the time recommend a very thin holesaw that doesn't cut on its own. You have to add some sort of aggregate to your slurry water that actually does the cutting. They said it makes the nicest holes and will work for 100's of holes. JW if you had ever heard of it.
 
I use basic hole saws for glass get 10 cuts out of them. The thinner ones I has seen at glass shops. Bit don't use them.
 
Lots of time, little pressure and plenty of cold water are essential
 
Drilled it yesterday. Now comes another problem that I caused, but I will start a new thread on that to get more replies hopefully. On a side note, I didnt crack it.......
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new