Question on starting second nano reef

Nebnano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up my Mr aqua 7.5 bowfront I had in storage. I want to keep this as simple as possible.

Equipment-
Rapid led par 38
Hydor 240gph powerhead
Aqueon 50 watt heater

I set the tank up with a couple of pieces of dry rock from brs and some dry caribsea aragonite sand I had. I rinsed everything off good and filled with saltwater. After everything cleared up and I matched the salinity and temp of my existing tank, I transferred a small piece of live rock and about a 1/8 cup of live sand over from well established tank.
My question is, what else should I do in this situation to start the cycle or will there even be one? I have some mircobactor 7 I sometimes use in my other tank. Should I put some of that in? I feel dumb asking this but wasn't sure....?
326e07ee7d57130d4293ebff9170ef3b.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently set up my Mr aqua 7.5 bowfront I had in storage. I want to keep this as simple as possible.

Equipment-
Rapid led par 38
Hydor 240gph powerhead
Aqueon 50 watt heater

I set the tank up with a couple of pieces of dry rock from brs and some dry caribsea aragonite sand I had. I rinsed everything off good and filled with saltwater. After everything cleared up and I matched the salinity and temp of my existing tank, I transferred a small piece of live rock and about a 1/8 cup of live sand over from well established tank.
My question is, what else should I do in this situation to start the cycle or will there even be one? I have some mircobactor 7 I sometimes use in my other tank. Should I put some of that in? I feel dumb asking this but wasn't sure....?
326e07ee7d57130d4293ebff9170ef3b.jpg
I would add some of the bacter 7 but you don't have to.

You also need an ammonia source to verify that you have enough bacteria to avoid a true cycle. I recommend getting pure ammonia but you can ghost feed if you would like.

OP
OP
Nebnano

Nebnano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I will do that. I tried searching for the answer before posting but found so many different ideas on this.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I will do that. I tried searching for the answer before posting but found so many different ideas on this.
What? People in this hobby have different opinions? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Its actually one of the things I love about it. So many different ways that can all work. What I offered was just what I would do.

OP
OP
Nebnano

Nebnano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha right!? Looking for answers on the internet is like asking random people on the street! I do appreciate current ideas from fellow forum members though.

Palyzoa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled my tank with a piece of raw shrimp from the grocery store. Just put it in and test regularly to watch the ammonia rise followed by nitrite and then nitrate. What do you plan on using for filtration? Neat little set up you have going so far.

OP
OP
Nebnano

Nebnano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on no mechanical filtration. Just power head and live rock and water changes. I plan on keeping just softies. It may even end up being a fishless tank too.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning on no mechanical filtration. Just power head and live rock and water changes. I plan on keeping just softies. It may even end up being a fishless tank too.
A member posted a beautiful 40B SPS tank doing the same thing. I love the idea!

Dr.Xipoles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef builders and Dr. Sanjay have one of those tanks. Very low maintainance over all. You should look into getting one of those mame glass protien skimmers.

OP
OP
Nebnano

Nebnano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef builders and Dr. Sanjay have one of those tanks. Very low maintainance over all. You should look into getting one of those mame glass protien skimmers.
Yes I thought about a skimmer but am going to try to get away without one. My other tank runs completely natural too but it has a sump. But no skimmer, no filter sock, no chemical filtration what so ever and it stays super clean.

Dr.Xipoles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I thought about a skimmer but am going to try to get away without one. My other tank runs completely natural too but it has a sump. But no skimmer, no filter sock, no chemical filtration what so ever and it stays super clean.
Wow. That nice. You've achieved what most of us dream of. I bet your refugium is quite large and you dose regularly? Do you use Triton or another way?

To be honest, im afraid of doing that since my standard setup has been working well for a couple of years. If i do start another tank i will definately try that

OP
OP
Nebnano

Nebnano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That nice. You've achieved what most of us dream of. I bet your refugium is quite large and you dose regularly? Do you use Triton or another way?

To be honest, im afraid of doing that since my standard setup has been working well for a couple of years. If i do start another tank i will definately try that
Thanks. Several months ago I switched to all natural in my other system. It's all lps and things started going down hill. All I was running was a filter pad and chemipure blue. I came to the conclusion that my system was too clean though. Honestly I'm not sure if things are any better but it's still stays Pretty clean. I gave up on testing because all my numbers stay exactly the same . I do stay on top of fairly decent size water changes though. they were weekly but am going longer now to try to get some nutrients in the system.

OP
OP
Nebnano

Nebnano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No new news here except the tank seems to be cycled and the diatoms seem to be mostly gone already. I added a small hermit and two snails last week. Would love to get the rocks covered in gsp so probably try to find a frag later this week
85fcc3b8da68becbda0eac212895daba.jpg

OP
OP
Nebnano

Nebnano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few changes since last update. Changed to crushed coral several months ago and also changed changed light to a coral compulsion par 30.
20180615_184335.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back