Question on Tunze 6040

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering getting the Tunze Turbelle 6040 for a display refugium but my only reservation is the lack of a guard on the pump. Isn't there a risk of snails or other critters getting caught in the propeller? I'm especially concerned because I want to get pipefish somewhere down the line and they're small and aren't the most powerful of swimmers.

Please share your experiences if you own this pump. Thanks in advance.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60 40 on my desk tank without any issues. I have also used many of these over the years. I have never had a problem with the exposed propeller outlet but the screened inlet can still suck up anemones and like some smaller fish. My suggestion would be to run it in the standing wave mode. This is the gentlest and least risky way to run the pump if you have things that may get sucked in.

OP
OP
Elbereth

Elbereth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion!

I suppose there's no way to cover the inlet with a fine mesh right? I assume the stuff I would've used in freshwater wouldn't be safe in saltwater

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issue with pump noise. The noise is more noticeable on the standing wave mode because of the sharp contrast between on and off but it is nothing I would complain about and the tank is on my desk within arm's reach all day.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2, 1 on each end of my 40 breeder. They alternate and overlap throughout the day. They have a "pulse" feature where every 20 seconds (I think) or so, the prop twitches to keep things away when they're not running.

I've never had a problem with anything getting stuck.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 62 46.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back