Question regarding Red Sea Reefer, fleece roller, and ATO

MightyMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Building a new tank. I would like a refugium and fleece roller. The Red Sea Reefer 425 G2 seems like a good fit. However I have a few questions. Someone here might be willing to help.

1) From Red Sea's pictures of the tank, it seam the fleece roller takes the space of the ATO tank. Can you not have both?
2) the ATO tank seems tiny, how many days can this possibly last? My current tank evaporates about 5 Gallons a week and it has a similar footprint.
3) In the event that the fleece roller replaces the ATO or the given ATO tank is not big enough. what is a good solution to ATO? I currently use a Tunze Osmolator which I trust and would use again. but where to put the tank does anyone have any good suggestions to conceal it?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. You can have both, yes. This is the second option Red Sea recommends.

Option 2 – with reservoir
This option allows installation of the ReefMat 500 together with the RSK-600 skimmer without any modification to the sump or reservoir (Note: the ReefMat 1200 will also fit but is not recommended).
• This option, however, does not maximize the use of the available space in the sump.
• The valved downpipe will need to be shortened to bypass an unused dry area of the sump, and the overflow pipe will need to be rotated 180 degrees.

525-opt2-layout.png

2. Anywhere from 3-4 days, depending on your geographic location (the one on my 750XXL lasts 2 days).

3. I run an external 15-gallon Innovative Marine HydroFill reservoir with an ATO (I use a Neptune ATK). It sits beside the tank, looks very sharp and is easy to refill.

OP
OP
M

MightyMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank your for your response, this is very helpful. do you forgo the refugium with this set up?
I assume you can run a Innovative Marine HydroFill reservoir without the above sump ATO tank as well in configuration 1

Last edited:

medi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not positive about your RS sump, but with mine I was able to remove the filter sock compartment, and install the mat there. Then I'm able to relocate the baffle a few inches over so that I can keep a fuge as well. As far as the ATO goes I felt like the stock was worthless so I have an external 15 gallon reservoir.

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 350 G2 with the same issue. Attached is a picture of my layout. In lieu of a true refugium I put additional rock in the first chamber and I plan to seed it with pods as there is minimal flow in that area.

in order to have a true refugium I would need to lose the ATO, move the skimmer up front next to the reef mat and do the refugium in the back.

Attachments

• AE7B66A4-0997-4A0D-8ADB-B4DEC2411AF7.jpeg
    AE7B66A4-0997-4A0D-8ADB-B4DEC2411AF7.jpeg
    211.7 KB · Views: 42

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back