OP
OP
E

Emerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, long ago post. I played around with the angle of the return lines. A little lower and parallel to slightly up helped. I also drilled a 1/16" hole in a lock line piece (the highest one), mostly to break the siphon when the return pump is off, but I think this also reduced the flow out the VCA RFG just enough that it stopped the creation of the vortex. I do like them better than the standard flare, though.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark, any update on your progress with this? I’m experiencing the same issues and was just wondering what your fix was.

HI Bob, here is a quickstart guide for positioning the RFG nozzle that may help with your issue:
RFG-Installation-Guidlines-1.jpg

if you continue to have trouble, please do not hesitate to just give us a call and we'll be happy to help trouble shoot for you. Support number is on our contact page

Neseem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. Just added them to an Innovative Marine 30L and to a IM 10 (Both are attached using the Drop Adapter for an AIO). Both have the same air vortex/tiny whirlpool issue even with them as low as they go. Tried reducing pump speeds on both tanks but still happens every so often throughout the day. I cannot push them any lower so might seal off the top where the vortex is occurring. I really like them, so trying to figure out a good solution.

Last edited:

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. Just added them to an Innovative Marine 30L and to a IM 10 (Both are attached using the Drop Adapter for an AIO). Both have the same air vortex/tiny whirlpool issue even with them as low as they go. Tried reducing pump speeds on both tanks but still happens every so often throughout the day. I cannot push them any lower so might seal off the top where the vortex is occurring. I really like them, so trying to figure out a good solution.
Can you provide some info as to the size pump your are running them with?

Also - if you have not already, please try rotating the RFGs to make one of the separators between the educators on the rear of the nozzle to point straight up.

Let me know if of that helps

merkmerk73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the slow response here and thanks for everyone chiming in - all great suggestions.

@Emerson, at the higher flow rates the RFG nozzle definitely need to be lower below water's surface. Depending on the flow rate, you will need to have the nozzles anywhere from .25" to as much a few 1.5" below the water surface - as measure at the educator end.

There are a few tricks can sometime help minimize them sucking in air:
The goal should be to minimize the educators (the holes near the back) exposure to the surface of the water.

• You can try rotating the nozzle so that one of the fins that separates the educator channels is pointed straight up. This sounds minimal but it sometimes is just enough to reduce the chance of a vortex forming.

• Next -you can make sure the nozzle is parallel with the water surface. Again, this serves to push the educators just a bit further from surface.

• Instead of parallel, you can also run the nozzle pointed slight upwards - like 5 degrees. In this case however, make sure you measuring the depth from the educators if you're worried about too much siphon back to the sump - since that's where the siphon will break.

• The other suggestions such as drilling a small 1/16in hole in the underside of the Y or in one of the loc-line knuckles to break the siphon earlier is good. Also, reducing or adjsuting the flow rate (if you have a DC pump) just a bit can help as well.

Other things to keep in mind - if you run wave makers in your tank, the water level over the nozzle may not stay consistant since the wave may raise and and lower the water level as the wave travels across the tank. In this case, you'll need to account for the drop when deciding how deep to run the RFG nozzle.

Hope that help and if you anyone has any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Hi @Vivid Creative Aquatics - old post, but these threads pop up on google so it's always relevant these days

Question - how do you recommend using these random flow generators on returns in a way that doesn't interfere with existing gyres?

I have twin returns coming from an overflow box in the middle, and gyres on each end of the tank - I'm just worried I'll be spewing random flow directly into the gyre path and creating some kind of eye of jupiter scenario.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Vivid Creative Aquatics - old post, but these threads pop up on google so it's always relevant these days

Question - how do you recommend using these random flow generators on returns in a way that doesn't interfere with existing gyres?

I have twin returns coming from an overflow box in the middle, and gyres on each end of the tank - I'm just worried I'll be spewing random flow directly into the gyre path and creating some kind of eye of jupiter scenario.
Actually we recommend that you run the perpendicular to a gyred flow - for the very purpose of slighting breaking up the laminar flow created by the gyre.

In general the RFG won't disrupt that flow too much, since a properly randomizing RFG will not just push flow in one direction. Rather, as it randomizes, it will intermittently collide with and slightly mix up the laminar flow coming from gyre.

Now, if that is NOT what you want , then i suppose you could point the RFGs toward the back corners of you tank - that may help to keep that area from becoming a dead spot. Depending on your your returns come off your overflow box, that may be pretty easy to setup, with minimal loc-line.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back