Question with Trident

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just got a new Trident (well new to me). Got new 6 month reagent with it as well. Did the calibration on it with the solution and it came out to exactly what the numbers said on the bottle. So its calibrated properly. I ran Hanna Checker on Alk, Red Sea Calcium and both were off from what I tested with the Trident after doing the calibration. Not a small margin either.

Hanna Checker said 9.3 DKH and trident said 8.49. My Red Sea Calcium was 490 and the trident tested at 448.

Like I said, when I did the calibration with the solution that came with Reagent it matched perfectly, so I'm more inclined to agree with the Trident's Reading rather than the Hanna Checker and Red Sea test kit. Am I correct in assuming this? Btw All reagents are brand new, so no problems with half filled bottles or anything.

Thanks in Advance.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just got a new Trident (well new to me). Got new 6 month reagent with it as well. Did the calibration on it with the solution and it came out to exactly what the numbers said on the bottle. So its calibrated properly. I ran Hanna Checker on Alk, Red Sea Calcium and both were off from what I tested with the Trident after doing the calibration. Not a small margin either.

Hanna Checker said 9.3 DKH and trident said 8.49. My Red Sea Calcium was 490 and the trident tested at 448.

Like I said, when I did the calibration with the solution that came with Reagent it matched perfectly, so I'm more inclined to agree with the Trident's Reading rather than the Hanna Checker and Red Sea test kit. Am I correct in assuming this? Btw All reagents are brand new, so no problems with half filled bottles or anything.

Thanks in Advance.
Did you input the calibration solution numbers into the Apex App when you were calibrating?

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why they exactly match. Trident is calibrated to the numbers you inputted from the calibration solution bottle.

I found the same thing with my Trident/Hanna
Alk - Hanna is always higher by .5.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why they exactly match. Trident is calibrated to the numbers you inputted from the calibration solution bottle.

I found the same thing with my Trident/Hanna
Alk - Hanna is always higher by .5.
Well I get thats why they match, but if its calibrated properly then I can trust the Trident's Readings right?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Trident is basically useless for CA and MG. Alk is pretty good and consistent. Yours may be better but I know that I can not trust mine.

Joepie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks in Advance.
I believe that the most important side of controllers (i have both the Trident and the Mastertronic) constancy of results is. Especially sps corals do not like changing levels of parameters too much This is much more important than a high or low result (ofcourse within acceptable ranges). So the difference between the Hannah and Trident is on itself of little meaning imho.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tested the calibration solution with Hanna and red sea pro tests and I don't get the same values as listed on the bottle. I'm still fairly new to having a trident, but from here on out when I change reagents I'm just going to calibrate with my tank water to the values I get with my other test kits. When I tested the alkalinity of the calibration solution with the other 2 test kits and get the same result that doesn't match the listed value I tend to believe the value listed on the bottle is incorrect.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 26 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • None.

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.8%
Back