Question

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a 10 gallon and replace 10 gallons per day, isnt it more like a 1000 gallons water capacity chemistry wise? Or a million gallons?

Imagine a slow drain of new saltwater contimously replacing this tanks water with clean water all day. 10 gallons or 5 gallons a day.

I kind of want to set this up just to see how it goes.

masssnapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is setups like this, just look for Automatic water changes.
I'm not sure about your math bit there a little calculator somewhere that tells you how much water you're actually changing when you do a wc, and how much original water is left after a series of waterchanges.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to be clear you want yo continually drain and add water to your tank... i guess in theory itll work but it wont give your tank time to stabilize (cycle) water chemistry... maybe 1 gallon every 2 days or something like that may be more suitable. Also think about the amount of money you will be spending on salt to make water.

I have heard about a tank like this. Search auto water change

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to be clear you want yo continually drain and add water to your tank... i guess in theory itll work but it wont give your tank time to stabilize (cycle) water chemistry... maybe 1 gallon every 2 days or something like that may be more suitable. Also think about the amount of money you will be spending on salt to make water.

I have heard about a tank like this. Search auto water change
Yes i see, but salt for a 10 gallon is cheap. Think of the cost of test kits, and additives. With salt you dont need it. Instant ocean 160 gallon mic at 5 gallons a day is a month or so of water changes for a 10 gallon.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A number of artificial salt mixes contain ammonia......it's just in there. You're fine doing lower volumes of water changes, but I'm concerned with changes over 50% (to pick a number). I certainly would not consider repeated 100% water changes, with the concern with excess ammonia.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back