Questions about API General Cure

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been doing some research and I'm trying to understand why I've been reading about people using a combination of PraziPro and Metronidazole when General Cure has both Praziquantel and Metronidazole. Is General Cure is less effective? I've also been reading about people putting GC in food when the directions tell you to just dose the tank. Is GC more effective if fed to the fish? I appreciate any incite on the matter.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked out the dosage on GC a few days ago, and it is pretty close to what I would dose the components at separately. Putting GC into the food works, but few people do it correctly. Also, metronidazole is very bitter, and fish will often eat the treated food one time and then avoid it like the plague. Here is a link to an article I posted here a few weeks ago on medicated foods: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/proper-dosing-of-medicated-foods.780/

Jay

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the information. Would you say that feeding is more effective than dosing the tank, the way the directions recommend?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much for the information. Would you say that feeding is more effective than dosing the tank, the way the directions recommend?
Yes - if you can get the proper dose into the fish, oral meds are usually better than baths for internal issues. If you are treating for external flukes, then a bath is much better.

Jay

Reef Mamma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have been doing some research as well as I am about to purchase a fairy wrasse. I have previously lost one before due to lack of availability of medicine and information. My question is should GC be dosed in QT to treat flukes and external and as well as feed to treat for internal at the same time? or should I wait in between?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have been doing some research as well as I am about to purchase a fairy wrasse. I have previously lost one before due to lack of availability of medicine and information. My question is should GC be dosed in QT to treat flukes and external and as well as feed to treat for internal at the same time? or should I wait in between?
If you mean in the water and in the food at the same time, no that will overdose. I would treat the water. Marine fish drink tank water all of the time, so will ingest some meds that way.
Jay

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back