Questions about changing out RODI filters on BRS 150gph value plus water saver unit

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m changing out the filters in this unit for the first time after TDS creeped up and water pressure went down. Here are my questions:

The system called for 5 micron sediment and carbon filters but the BRS cartridge kit I ordered for my unit came with 1 micron for each. Is this a problem? I thought I ordered the exact replacement set for my unit.

Also, the TDS for input after changing out sediment, carbon, and color changing resin is still running at 11 after using the flush valve and producing about 10-15g of waste water. The output is zero. This input is actually a little higher than my input with the old filters. Should I have rinsed out the carbon filter before I started running it? Will this eventually sort itself out?

I didn’t change out the double membranes, as I’ve read they last much longer. I’ve had the unit for 3 years. Should I change them too? They’re pricier than the rest so if I can hold off that would be great.

After running 10-15g using the flush valve, am I good to go to make RODI for the tank?

Ps when I turn on the booster pump I get 62 for pressure.

Thanks in advance for your help!! I appreciate any feedback!

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should do a membrane rejection calculation to check your membranes.
If you are not running low tds supply water or soft water, two membranes is a waste of money.

You should have flushed all your filters before connecting it to the RO.

Also, you should check your product to waste ratio to make sure you are running efficently for your money.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 1 micron sediment, then two 1 micron carbon filters before going into dual membranes. Works fine. I usually replace the membranes at 3 to 4 years.

I had low pressure with my booster pump (60) for a long time until I figured out the restrictor was allowing too much waste water flow. I downsized the restrictor and now get 80 psi.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back