Questions about Keeping Chaeto in Refugium

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just added a tennis ball size of Chaeto in my refugium and I am not certain how best to take care for it so it grows. I have an AI Prime Fuge light that I am running at night while my DT lights are off. Roughly 6 pm - 8 am. When I tried to run a MaxiJet in the Fuge to keep the Chaeto moving, the pump just pulled the chaeto down into the inlet of the pump. Without the pump the chaeto just falls to the bottom of the Fuge. So, now I have a small colander that the chaeto is in so it is floating on top but it is not moving so the light is always hitting one side. Is this ok?

Thanks for any suggestions!

i-fXsm62q-X2.jpg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work, or use egg crate or get some live rock to support it.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same thing initially but chaeto quickly out grew it. I don't really worry about the chaeto spinning. I just flip the large bunch over every few days manually. I ditched the container and just leave it to grow full in my second chamber now.

Attachments

• 20220313_090401.jpg
    20220313_090401.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 65

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a tennis ball size of Chaeto in my refugium and I am not certain how best to take care for it so it grows. I have an AI Prime Fuge light that I am running at night while my DT lights are off. Roughly 6 pm - 8 am. When I tried to run a MaxiJet in the Fuge to keep the Chaeto moving, the pump just pulled the chaeto down into the inlet of the pump. Without the pump the chaeto just falls to the bottom of the Fuge. So, now I have a small colander that the chaeto is in so it is floating on top but it is not moving so the light is always hitting one side. Is this ok?

Thanks for any suggestions!

i-fXsm62q-X2.jpg
Clever idea!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back