Questions and Ideas regarding bare bottom paint or plastic?

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of an alternative for painting the bottom of a new 75gallon rimless aquarium. I'm going to paint the back panel with a Krylon spray paint as i've seen people recommend it. Is that the best/easiest/cheap option? I thought of painting the bottom panel also since its going to be mostly bare bottom and I don't want to see through into the sump especially if I have any kind of refugium light coming through into the tank.

As as alternative to painting the tank how about adding a plastic corrugated sheet underneath the tank resting on top of the stand? The plastic sheet could help distribute the weight and support from the tank better. I'd paint the top of the plastic black to see through the glass and keep the bottom of the sheet white facing the sump to brighten that area more with led cabinet lights. Also which LED light strips would you recommend? I'm assuming they have to be somewhat waterproof or moisture proof? I've seen the black plastic inside the tank, but I'd think corals and corraline would spread easier on glass then plastic? Also again to have a white top in the sump area instead of all black would be preferable. Any thoughts or ideas and experience in this area? Thank you in advance.

OP
OP
Michigan Reefer

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While i'm on this corrugated plastic idea, how about adding a sheet in the cabinet under the sump as well? It's already painted white, but the plastic should help with the vibration from the pumps. Also to make waterproof silicone the edges and brace them with a plastic edge to seal any water spillage that may occur?

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you dont want light you can paint the outside bottom.
I would put a piece of plywood down which helps for stability, on any stand, and keeps out light.
I used liquid rubber in a spray can to seal the top and edges of the plywood. This works on the bottom glass too and does not flake or degrade due to humidity.
Very easy to peel off also.
I used the liquid rubber to coat the plywood bottom my sump rests on too.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.3%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.1%
Back