Questions on a Refugium

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm Purchasing a hang on the back Refugium for my 29 gal tank. I currently have a quiet flow filter and a Fluval PS1 protein skimmer. The protein skimmer doesn't seem to be creating any foam and is still shooting out micro bubbles after two months now causing them to stick to my yellow wrasse. If I add chaeto to the refugium, could I replace the skimmer with it? If so, should I start with golf ball size? Or larger?

Thanks for any help!

OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly question, but have you confirmed your skimmer is installed correctly as outlined in the owners manual? Is it at the correct height, tuned properly, etc?
I have. I also watched some videos for visual confirmation on the install. P.S. not a silly question, for the first week I had it, it was installed improperly.

OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can replace a skimmer with a refugium. Its not a 100% swap as they are not identical, but if is for waste management then I would say go for it.
What should I look out for with the tank if I do a swap? I've seen that it takes longer for things to happen in the cycle due to the skimmer having the advantage in removing stuff before it breaks down.

OP
OP
Wuffletoast

Wuffletoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer oxygenates the water to not just waste removal. But fuge helps balance PH overnight to.
Would a second circulation pump make up for the dip I will have in oxygen in the water?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What should I look out for with the tank if I do a swap? I've seen that it takes longer for things to happen in the cycle due to the skimmer having the advantage in removing stuff before it breaks down.

Refugiums are arguable stronger for waste management as they readily remove nitrate and phosphate. Skimmers can help remove waste before it breaks down, but does nothing for the ammonia produced by fish nor phosphate unless its attached to something skimmable. Refugiums can remove ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate. Skimmers are great at aeration but I don't think there is a study directly comparing skimmers and refugiums in regards to oxygenation. Refugiums also remove trace elements, and many hypothesize that macroalgae dying or a refugium "failing" to take off is because of a lack of trace elements.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a second circulation pump make up for the dip I will have in oxygen in the water?
Well you want your water rippling on the surface for gas exchange. I doubt a nano fuge is going to give you the benefits you want over and above a skimmer. Med and large tanks typically run both systems.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm Purchasing a hang on the back Refugium for my 29 gal tank. I currently have a quiet flow filter and a Fluval PS1 protein skimmer. The protein skimmer doesn't seem to be creating any foam and is still shooting out micro bubbles after two months now causing them to stick to my yellow wrasse. If I add chaeto to the refugium, could I replace the skimmer with it? If so, should I start with golf ball size? Or larger?

Thanks for any help!
I wouldnt necessarily drop skimmer for chaeto but woud look on you tube to assure skimmer is properly assembled and running or replace with IceCap K1-50 or K1-100 model which performs like a full sized skimmer

Illini_Drew33

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I like running both. Do you have any type of bioload in that tank? Something doesn't sound right with that skimmer. When I would get too many bubbles that typically had to do with my water height relative to the skimmer. That said, I have an in sump skimmer. I'd do everything in my power to figure out that skimmer or get a new one.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back