Questions regarding the Green Mandarin Goby

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Morning,

I will be setting up a 75 gallon (preowned and already cycled) reef tank this weekend.
It comes with fish, but I think the purple tang and angelfish are probably too big for the tank or will be at one point... So, I'm going to sell them.

I have always had an eye on the green mandarin Goby.
I know they need copious amounts of copepods, but I have some questions regarding adding them to the tank.
Do the copepods just get added to the fuge, reproduce there, and find their way to the tank via return pump?
Do they just need to be bought and fed periodically to the tank?

Any insight is appreciated....

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a thread about it:

I myself have never had one, but from what I recall reading about them, wild caught ones ONLY EAT COPEPODS. However, aquacultured ones are known to eat other foods, and are thus much easier to keep successfully. Still, it would be a good idea to get help for more knowledgeable members of #reefsquad

link81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a good (and entertaining) read on them from @Paul B

OP
OP
Seanybaggs123

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a good (and entertaining) read on them from @Paul B

Wow!

At first glance that is intimidating.
Super informative resource. Thank you!

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I farmed and added a few types of pods to my 65 for a while prior to adding a mandarin. I shut down my cultures before adding the mandarin though actually. Its been a year and I haven't added a single pod. They are still visible at night and the mandy is very plump. I think with enough live rock and a sump/fuge you should be good without need to supplement.

OP
OP
Seanybaggs123

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I farmed and added a few types of pods to my 65 for a while prior to adding a mandarin. I shut down my cultures before adding the mandarin though actually. Its been a year and I haven't added a single pod. They are still visible at night and the mandy is very plump. I think with enough live rock and a sump/fuge you should be good without need to supplement.
Thank you!

Did you start your cultures in the sump? I guess I need to research how to start a colony of pods in the first place...

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

Did you start your cultures in the sump? I guess I need to research how to start a colony of pods in the first place...
My cultures were separate tanks. You can seed your tank with some though. Just buy some and dump in. Likely the tank has some already though.

OP
OP
Seanybaggs123

Seanybaggs123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cultures were separate tanks. You can seed your tank with some though. Just buy some and dump in. Likely the tank has some already though.
Awesome, thank you!

If I seed the refugium in the sump.... will they make it to the tank?

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 98 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 49.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%
Back