Questions regarding upgrade

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've decided to upgrade my 29 gallon to a 125 gallon peninsula in 3-5 years. Since I spent twice as much setting up my 29 as I had expected, I'm trying to get a realistic estimate and ideas where I can save by buying used/DIYing.

1. Can I purchase a used tank and re-seal, or DIY my own? If I do DIY, what is the recommended glass thickness?

2. Since flow is a major issue in penninsulas, would placing my return valve is located opposite of my wavemaker/overflow compensate?

3. I will have a mixed reef, heavy on the SPS. Right now I have a blackbox light, but would like to upgrade to something better quality. What brands do you recommend?

4. I'd like to keep my 29--any recommendations for what to do with it? Right now I'm considering a species/breeding tank.

Thanks!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won't likely be able to buy glass cheaper than you can buy a used (or even new) 125g tank. Just take your time and search the CL or local reef boards in your area. Resealing is easy if you end up having to do that.

Keep the 29g for a frag tank and coral isolation/QT tank.

Light are up to you. I would look for a used 8 bulb ATI fixture.

If you go all new and all-tech, then yes, you will spend more than you want on this tank too. To keep things simple and cheaper, go with reliable AC return pump like Fluval or Laguna. Get used skimmer, sump and tank and clean them up. Avoid brand-name LED lighting since they are expensive and often not good alone for acropora (majority end up with T5s) - Reef Breeders or SB can save you some clams and also work just as well and still fit into an AquaticLife when you get there.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of budget are you "Hoping" to stick to with this new tank?

harthag12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a peninsula tank I'd consider a closed loop for flow as an option, run from the back out put from the bottom hidden in rocks, along with a wavemaker on the back. I believe I've seen a few tanks on here with that setup & if done right is slick.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a peninsula tank I'd consider a closed loop for flow as an option, run from the back out put from the bottom hidden in rocks, along with a wavemaker on the back. I believe I've seen a few tanks on here with that setup & if done right is slick.

Kind of like this ? :p

20190527_144620.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kal93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of budget are you "Hoping" to stick to with this new tank?

Ideally? $2,000-2,500, though I expect that it will end up being more. The biggest expense will be my lights though; those I plan to buy new. I'd like to hear what others have spent to get a better idea of what costs to anticipate.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ideally? $2,000-2,500, though I expect that it will end up being more. The biggest expense will be my lights though; those I plan to buy new. I'd like to hear what others have spent to get a better idea of what costs to anticipate.

So the tank I pictured is actually my tank. A custom built peninsula 60" L × 30" W × 17" H (125ish Gallons), Starphire on 3 sides and the one pieced euro bracing and drilled for a 4 outlet closed loop system from Miracles Aquariums out of Ontario Canada. The tank alone would probably max out your budget but let me tell you from the moment I cracked the crate it came in I fell in love with this glass box. And even though it sits dry right now I still find myself staring at it over and over again. If this upgrade you're planning will be a long term one, I would save up as much as possible and get a tank you know you will love until the seals go bad lol

Just my thoughts as I was in the exact position you were in. I had spent a crazy amount of money on a relatively small aquarium and quickly realized it just wouldn't do. Lucky I atleast made some of my equipment purchases transferable to a larger system like the sump and skimmer and the lights will be used for my future coral QT and Frag system.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back