Quick howdy from Texas

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome from the shadows to R2R and the wonderful folks, information and help.
Patience, it is the big word around here, Reefing is patience to cycle, to watch things grow, to keep your tank balanced.
I recommend to everyone joining to create a tank build thread.
1. You get to see where you have started and how much you have grown in this hobby.
2. We love pictures and to see what your doing with your tank.
3. It’s a great learning tool for all of us to see what works and doesn’t . We learn great stuff from each other.
Lastly the only bad question here is the one not asked...

OP
OP
S

Sludgysnail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the tank you've chosen will certainly allow for a pair of clownfish. Please remember that clownfish can become very territorial and extremely nasty toward other inhabitants. And they will try and take over all 29 gallons of that tank.

My experience has been that ONE clownfish is much more sociable in a tank with other fish. My concern would be that if you add a goby to a tank with a pair of clowns in it, he won't last long.

PLEASE QUARANTINE.

Please tell us more about your setup... lighting, filtration, which salt mix you plan on using...

Dom

Sorry, I neglected my intro post. What I have currently is a 29 gallon bow front tank, stand, current orbit marine led with ramp up timer, two canister filters, a t5 lamp also. I picked all of that up for $100. I was given a bucket of sand. I pickup up an Eshopps WD-75cs to use as a sump, Eshopps hob overflow box and about 50lbs of rock for another $150.

I know the Current led isn't good for corals, but I think it will handle softies for the time being. I may sell it and the canister filters to upgrade the lighting. I also plan on using a skimmer and maybe a uv light. I haven't decided about salt mixes. The Aquatic Life RO Buddie looks like an affordable system for rodi (I'm on well water so not a lot of added stuff to strip). My local FB saltwater group seems to prefer Salivert tests to API so I may use that for the benefit of help locally.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I neglected my intro post. What I have currently is a 29 gallon bow front tank, stand, current orbit marine led with ramp up timer, two canister filters, a t5 lamp also. I picked all of that up for $100. I was given a bucket of sand. I pickup up an Eshopps WD-75cs to use as a sump, Eshopps hob overflow box and about 50lbs of rock for another $150.

I know the Current led isn't good for corals, but I think it will handle softies for the time being. I may sell it and the canister filters to upgrade the lighting. I also plan on using a skimmer and maybe a uv light. I haven't decided about salt mixes. The Aquatic Life RO Buddie looks like an affordable system for rodi (I'm on well water so not a lot of added stuff to strip). My local FB saltwater group seems to prefer Salivert tests to API so I may use that for the benefit of help locally.

I have Currunt USA product on 2 of my tanks. I think they are underpowered for any tank that is greater than 12" deep. So if your tank is in the 12-16" depth range, you should be okay.

Canister filters can be Nitrate factories if you don't keep in top of them. I like that you have two. I would make this suggestion where your canister filters are concerned: use one at a time and swap them out on a weekly basis. This makes maintenance quick and easy especially if they are two of the same. Then you can go back and prepare the other canister filter before then next swap when it is convenient.

OP
OP
S

Sludgysnail

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Currunt USA product on 2 of my tanks. I think they are underpowered for any tank that is greater than 12" deep. So if your tank is in the 12-16" depth range, you should be okay.

Canister filters can be Nitrate factories if you don't keep in top of them. I like that you have two. I would make this suggestion where your canister filters are concerned: use one at a time and swap them out on a weekly basis. This makes maintenance quick and easy especially if they are two of the same. Then you can go back and prepare the other canister filter before then next swap when it is convenient.

I wasn't sure if I'm going to use the canister filters or not. Since I got that wet/dry filter to use as a sump I don't know if they are necessary. Maybe I'll run one, but with the w/d filter I don't think two is necessary. I've read the w/d filters can be nitrate factories as well. I plan on removing the bioballs and using live rock in its place I think.

Alanna102499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I thought I felt someone watching us! ;-)
CFDA2326-3F5F-40BD-8D0B-27485C69AD5E.gif

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back