Quick Neptune Programming question

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone help- I’m not a power user.

I need a to have my filter roller run for an undetermined amount of time- I would guess 3-5 seconds- every other day or so. I know I need to use defer, but I don’t know how to set it for every other day.

Im using a KLIR-4 but I plan on wiring the motor directly into a 24v output on the EB832 (with a 12v step down). I’m waiting on the parts so I don’t know exactly how long it will take to move the roller appropriately.
Thanks!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every other day is nearly impossible to program with the Apex due to its limited programming language. The closest you can get is using the DOW (Day Of Week) command which lets you choose specific days, but because there are 7 days in the week, that forces you to either skip two consecutive days or run two back-to-back days.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Time 08:00 to 08:01 Then ON
DOW S-T-T-S Then OFF (Saturday and Sunday off)
Defer 001:30 Then ON

- or -

DOW -M-W-F- Then OFF (Saturday and Sunday on)

Have you considered rather than running it on a timed basis, add a float or optical switch that will turn on the Klir motor when the water level behind the roller filter raises above normal? That's how most commercial rollers operate. When the water gets too high, the motor turns on, the clean filter moves into place, then the backed up water flows through and the water level goes back down to normal, then the motor is turned off:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Lvl-Hi CLOSED Then ON

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, senior moment.....

Fallback OFF
Set OFF

and your day of week..........
Every other day is nearly impossible to program with the Apex due to its limited programming language. The closest you can get is using the DOW (Day Of Week) command which lets you choose specific days, but because there are 7 days in the week, that forces you to either skip two consecutive days or run two back-to-back days.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
DOW S-T-T-S Then OFF (Saturday and Sunday off)

- or -

DOW -M-W-F- Then OFF (Saturday and Sunday on)

Have you considered rather than running it on a timed basis, add a float or optical switch that will turn on the Klir motor when the water level behind the roller filter raises above normal? That's how most commercial rollers operate. When the water gets too high, the motor turns on, the clean filter moves into place, then the backed up water flows through and the water level goes back down to normal, then the motor is turned off:

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Lvl-Hi CLOSED Then ON
Hi!

First of all, thanks for responding and helping!

My tank is the IM NUVO 120g; it’s an AIO tank that takes 2, 4” standard filter socks on either end of the tank. The KLIR fits perfectly.

The sensor on the KLIR-4 sits way too high to ever be triggered on my tank. It does appear the water is flowing through the KLIR filter media as intended and I do believe over time it will rise but the space is so tight and shallow it would be tricky to mount the sensor as a satellite (which is possible since it just takes a stereo headphone Jack and screws on.) I’d have to use a magnetic-style float switch stripped from an ATO (or a Neptune magnetic version) wired to a headphone Jack since the one that came with the KLIR is threaded and won’t fit in the tight space. Even if I got a sensor in there there’s less than 3/4” of water depth to play with. It usually takes neglecting the filter sock for 2-3 weeks for it to rise over the little wall.

so…

It occurred to me I could just set it up to roll itself into new media every few days. I’m trying to understand the programming but I would guess if it rolled new media on Thursday and Monday (or something) that would be just as good as it slowly rolling itself with an optical sensor. I have no idea how many seconds it will take to roll a “new sock” until I make the cable (micro molex to 24v->12v step down to DC barrel. Amazon is 3 stops away with the supplies ;)

I have read people with DIY filter sock rollers do 3 seconds every day but I don’t think that’s necessary for me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back