Quick printer review

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick review... I know, this is a reef site, not a 3d site, but in case anyone is interested.

Received my Prusa Mini+ today. Took me about an hour to get it up and running. 1st print was a Benchy, best print I've ever made. I've had 3 printers, over the last 6 years or so. This one is by far the simplest to get printing, and by even further, produces the best prints.

1st print, no touchups, no cleanups, just as it came off the printer:

Benchy.jpeg

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for an upgrade after my MK2S has had issue after issue. Good to know Prusa still got it! I will have to research it. Was the Mini vs an MK series a cost savings thing? Rarely do I ever had prints that need the whole MK bed so this sounds cool.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 3D print anything and everything I can for my reef tanks
I, too, print stuff for my reef... and for non-reef...

Printing a little shelf at the moment to hold my Schiit Modi headphone amp next to the treadmill.

SchiitShelf.png

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been looking for an upgrade after my MK2S has had issue after issue. Good to know Prusa still got it! I will have to research it. Was the Mini vs an MK series a cost savings thing? Rarely do I ever had prints that need the whole MK bed so this sounds cool.
Mini (actually, it's Mini+ now) vs MK3S+ (Current):

Mini+ has a 32bit processor and color LCD (no, it's not a touchscreen). Actually shows you a picture of what you've selected before you print it. 'One Touch Print' feature recognizes new .gcode files on the stick, prompts you to print it as soon as it's inserted. Simple filament end sensor, resume on failure... just lots of very cool features.

MK35+ build volume: 25x21x21cm. Mini+ Build volume: 18x18x18 cm, yeah, it's a little smaller. Big enough for me.

Price:
MK35+ $749 (Kit) $999 (RTU)
Mini+ $349 (Kit) $399 (RTU)

The Prusa Mini is as far ahead of my FLSun Q5 on build quality, ease of use, and print quality as my FLSun Q5 is over my Ender3.

Downside, and this goes for all Prusa printers: Lead times. 3 to 4 weeks on most stuff, up to 12 on certain items. I ordered my Mini+ on 03/23, received it on 04/21. They say patience is a virtue... maybe so, but it's in short supply around here :D

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I woke up this morning I had convinced myself I would stop spending on wants so frequently. WHY GREYBEARD. WHY DID YOU POST THIS.

Still a very cool printer and I will likely be getting this in the next few weeks as I have had my eye on an upgrade for a while. Thanks for posting it!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back