Quick question about custom hard-plumbing.

Fishnfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one of the new 750xxl V3's that I'm setting up. It has two returns, instead of one return like on the old system.

My question is, do I really need to use both returns, or can I cap one off, and use one return with locline to direct the flow in the direction that I want?

I will have plenty of power heads to create flow in the tank, and I just don't see the benefit of plumbing the second return, unless I'm missing something. Any help or advice is appreciated.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wouldn't you want to use both returns? Better overall flow. Healthy tank. When the two returns meet in the middle, it will create turbulence, which is good for fish and corals.

OP
OP
F

Fishnfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard plumbing both returns from the aftermarket sump is a PIA and there is no real good way to get even flow out of both nozzles anyway. My thought is, with 2 power heads on each end of the tank, there will be plenty of turbulence, as the return nozzles typically aren't responsible for much of the flow in the tank anyway, at least not as much as the power heads.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah not exactly sure why you wouldn't want to.

More flow options = healthy tank and thriving corals.

I don't get much flow out of my returns either(3x turnover), but they add the ability to direct some flow to corals that may not be getting enough from just a PH alone.

OP
OP
F

Fishnfun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not reducing the flow, really. I'm still pushing the same exact GPH through the pump through the returns, whether it is 1 or 2 returns.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt one return versus two will have any impact on the long-term success of your tank ..... do whatever is most convenient. FWIW I always just use a single, locline free return, usually jetting down behind the rock work. A quartet of MP60 provide the majority of in-tank flow/surge. The purpose of the return is really just to makes sure enough tank water is running past/though your support equipment (skimmer, heaters, UV, ATS, etc.) ..... well, and surface skimming!!

Last edited:

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
black and white batman GIF

The tank police are not going to shut down your tank. What is important to one may not be important to another. All you can do is gather opinions and decide what works for you.

Back