Quick question about Salt mix

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using instant ocean but I feel that the Alk is too high. I still have a bunch I don't want to go to waste.

My question is can I mix it with another salt mix like Aquaforest Reef salt mix? My goal is to decrease Alk but raise my Cal in the salt. This is a 13.5g tank and I do about 5g once a week.

Woodyman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could do that, and if you plan on changing salts that's one way to slowly switch.

The other option would be to add acid to the salt mix to drop your alk and then dose to your desired Ca level, followed by verifying the levels.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gallons * dKh drop * .123 is the MLs of Muriatic Acid to use in the salt mix. It takes a day, or so, for the pH to come back up after you add the acid. There are other acids that you can use too but I do not know the formulas for them.

biom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using instant ocean but I feel that the Alk is too high. I still have a bunch I don't want to go to waste.

My question is can I mix it with another salt mix like Aquaforest Reef salt mix? My goal is to decrease Alk but raise my Cal in the salt. This is a 13.5g tank and I do about 5g once a week.
Yes, you can mix them. But to be on the safe side dont mix dry salts. Dissolve them separately in RO/DI and then mix after fully dissolved. (or if want to experiment mix small dry amount of the two salts and dissolve it in RODI if there is no precipitation/ cloudiness in the water it is ok to mix dry salt mixes)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mixing salts is a fine plan, as is adding an acid to reduce the alk.

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also working on getting a 2nd tank this one will be the 32.5 Fluval. Can I use a Cal reactor to both increase Cal and decrease Alk?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also working on getting a 2nd tank this one will be the 32.5 Fluval. Can I use a Cal reactor to both increase Cal and decrease Alk?

A CaCO3/CO2 reactor adds about 18-20 ppm calcium for each 2.8 dKH of alk. I don’t see how that can do what you are asking.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back