Quick Question: add ammonia during 72 day fallow?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MNscoe
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MNscoe

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 22, 2025
Messages
110
Reaction score
48
Location
Minneapolis, MN
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only a few months into my first reef tank and already got ich, so am treating the surviving fish (singular) in a QT with copper first then PraziPro. Meanwhile, DT is fallow with snails, crabs, ten small softie & LPS frags, and one coral-banded shrimp.

I'm worried my DT is "too clean": I'm on fallow day 48 with consistent NH3 zero, NO2 zero, and NO3 < 5 the whole time. I'm "feeding" my DT CUC every 2 to 3 days: a bit of seaweed one time, a shot of mysis or brine the next time, a pinch of PE pellets sometimes... I went thru a diatom phase during this too, but after a 3-day lights-off experiment, it's all gone.

Am I giving my bacteria enough to thrive, or should I dose a few drops of Dr Tim's ammonia? Or feed more (any specific food)? Thanks!
 
I've ran no fish, tanks before. I just added 1 drop per gallon per day of reef nutrition live phyto.
 
Since you have livestock in the tank that was fed periodically you should be fine. Even if you had no livestock you would probably be okay. The microbiome is very resilient in an aquarium once they gain a foothold.
 
I have reef roids and used them about once a week when fish were in. Is that similar, or sufficient?
I don't know if that will give you enough nitrates. I believe it's mostly phosphates. But give it a try
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new