Quick salinity drop!!

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I target fed my only coral, GSP which closed up, so I didn’t think I had an issue until now. The gsp was halfway open but closed up more now. I checked the salinity to realize it dropped from 1.0255 to 1.024. I was fidgeting, doing some maintenance to my tank yesterday, and messed up the gravity fed ato, it dumped .75 gallons to my 36 gallon system.
I only had one coral, but today unknowing this was happening I bought another 2. Should I add a small piece of salt to my sump?
Fish and cuc seem fine.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I target fed my only coral, GSP which closed up, so I didn’t think I had an issue until now. The gsp was halfway open but closed up more now. I checked the salinity to realize it dropped from 1.0255 to 1.024. I was fidgeting, doing some maintenance to my tank yesterday, and messed up the gravity fed ato, it dumped .75 gallons to my 36 gallon system.
I only had one coral, but today unknowing this was happening I bought another 2. Should I add a small piece of salt to my sump?
Fish and cuc seem fine.

you could just add a little salt water above your ato sensor which will slightly raise the salinity slowly as the ato won’t trigger until that water has dropped below the sensor p, which will have raised the salinity.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just leave it, you could just add a little salt water above your ato sensor which will slightly raise the salinity slowly as the ato won’t trigger until that water has dropped below the sensor p, which will have raised the salinity.
Ok I’ll add some salt. What happened is when doing the maintenance the water level lowered in the sump making the ato add water. Do you think my corals will be fine?

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll add some salt. What happened is when doing the maintenance the water level lowered in the sump making the ato add water. Do you think my corals will be fine?

Yes they should be fine, that’s not a big drop, the ato thing happens a lot, just remember to turn it off when working on the tank and back on.

Just to be clear, add salt water not dry salt to the tank, never do that.

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they should be fine, that’s not a big drop, the ato thing happens a lot, just remember to turn it off when working on the tank and back on.

Just to be clear, add salt water not dry salt to the tank, never do that.
Yes I’ll make a concentrated solution.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any salinity swing from 0.003 to 0.004 is nominal. You get above 0.005 swings, some action needs to be taken

If salinity drops temporarily from 1.025 to say 1.015, your fish and coral are fine as long as you acknowledge it and readjust slowly upwards.

Sudden salinity increases of say 1.025 to 1.035 will kill fish pretty quickly. The sudden increase really messes up their breathing. Corals will also start to melt pretty quick in a sudden increase

Salinity DROPS = are ok as long as the adjustment up is slow over 24-48hrs

Salinity INCREASES = are fatal and its ok to readjust downside quickly within 1-2hrs

Last edited:

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’ll make a concentrated solution.

you don’t have to do that, regular salt water will be fine, as said it will raise the salinity slowly, slowly is the key word here, just add some salt water above your sensor level, when that evaporates, check your salinity, if not correct add some more, doing this your ato stays off so stops adding fresh water to the tank.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As we Swedes say - there is no cow on the ice - it means do not worry or panic. It is non existing problem - just adjust it up slowly. Next time when you do maintenance prepare some new salt water and turn off the ATO. When you are finished - take the new mixed saltwater and fill up to the normal level and turn on the ATO again.

Sincerely Lasse

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 79.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back