Quick Way to Reduce Phosphates

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I am looking for a quick way to reduce phosphates and not through a water change? Will carbon dosing - it also lowers nitrates? I can just dose those back though.

Tank has jumped to .25 ppm and I want it to come down just a little.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME - carbon dosing is not quick and will lower nitrates faster and further than it will phosphates.

You need to either find the source and address it there (in your source water used for top off? leaching from rocks?) or use GFO.

I wouldn't lower them fast.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME - carbon dosing is not quick and will lower nitrates faster and further than it will phosphates.

You need to either find the source and address it there (in your source water used for top off? leaching from rocks?) or use GFO.

I wouldn't lower them fast.
I have heard GFO is one of the biggest mistakes to a reef tank hahaha - no thank you! Everyone is told to add GFO as "it will cure all your issues" however, it winds up being added way to premature & generates more issues than not.

I am fine with the nitrates coming down as I can dose them back appropriately. I am not wanting to strip them completely obviously.. just a little bump in the south direction.

It's a result from heavy feeding - and just want to get it bumped down.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lanthanum Chloride - one of brand is PhosphateRx. Immediate nitrate reduction but be very careful in dosing as it will drop phosphates in 24 hours. You'll also need to have skimmer and/or sock/sponge to capture the lanthanum phosphate precipitate. See Melev for some good videos and of course lots of product info on here.

marke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have heard GFO is one of the biggest mistakes to a reef tank hahaha - no thank you! Everyone is told to add GFO as "it will cure all your issues" however, it winds up being added way to premature & generates more issues than not.
Please explain? I am using gfo and like it. What are negatives? What will happen if I stop using it to maintain ,05 ppm po4?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard GFO is one of the biggest mistakes to a reef tank hahaha - no thank you! Everyone is told to add GFO as "it will cure all your issues" however, it winds up being added way to premature & generates more issues than not.
Not sure where you heard this, but that statement is true for absolutely anything when applied or used incorrectly. Whoever told you that doesn't have a clear understanding of what GFO does or what it's for.

Use the GFO. Monitor the phosphates daily. When you get to a little higher than where you want to be, stop using the GFO and observe for a few days to see if phosphate is rising or falling, then decide if you need to continue using it, or use other methods to control your phosphates over time.

GFO is not going to cure all of your issues, solve hunger or bring about world peace.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where you heard this, but that statement is true for absolutely anything when applied or used incorrectly. Whoever told you that doesn't have a clear understanding of what GFO does or what it's for.

Use the GFO. Monitor the phosphates daily. When you get to a little higher than where you want to be, stop using the GFO and observe for a few days to see if phosphate is rising or falling, then decide if you need to continue using it, or use other methods to control your phosphates over time.

GFO is not going to cure all of your issues, solve hunger or bring about world peace.
BRS video actually haha

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like phosgaurd in a bag.
For your 65 use around 1/4 cup.
Put it in your sump. Its a small amount for a reason.
Test in 12 hours. That small amount will slowly reduce po4. Test and adjust. If its going down slowly leave it in and test again. When you get to the level you want take it out.
I have used this method with consistent results. The key is use a very small amount.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They also wouldn't sell their own branded GFO if it was 'bad'.
I think the point was that don't add GFO if your phosphate isn't normally high... Like you go to a LFS tell them your phosphates are high - they respond add GFO... like my tanks is a year old and it's never had high phosphates so adding GFO is not the move... people are soooo quick to give advice - and unfortunately some listen without doing some research.

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the most beautiful tanks I've seen run gfo.

If used improperly GFO will cause problems, I'd add just a small amount to a reactor and monitor. Clearly it is used by successful reefers, those who fill a large reactor and push massive flow through it without ever having used it will bottom out and have problems.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be the right solution for some... but it's definitely not always the right solution & as I mentioned in some cases it's down right the wrong solution.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I am fine with the nitrates coming down as I can dose them back appropriately. I am not wanting to strip them completely obviously.. just a little bump in the south direction.

If you use GFO properly, it works fine (IMO). Problems come from using too much.

jordan10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't believe everything you read. I just started using gfo probably 3 4 months or so and tank couldn't be happier!!!

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't believe everything you read. I just started using gfo probably 3 4 months or so and tank couldn't be happier!!!
I don't! That's why I extensively read up on things before introducing them to my tank. My consensus is that people who start GFO end up taking it offline down the road when they're running into bottomed out nutrients.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't! That's why I extensively read up on things before introducing them to my tank. My consensus is that people who start GFO end up taking it offline down the road when they're running into bottomed out nutrients.

I didn’t. I used it for years, along with vinegar dosing, growing macroalgae, skimming, and GAC.

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t. I used it for years, along with vinegar dosing, growing macroalgae, skimming, and GAC.
It's good for some people & bad for others all depends on tank & current setup. Who knows I may wind up needing one but I was looking for a way to simply lower phosphate by a quick dose as it's way elevated from normal & I think it's a result from my mom overfeeding the last three days.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back