Quick

shaojinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am a (soon to be) first time reefer. Bought pretty much everything except lighting (and lifestock).

I went with a Waterbox cube 20 gallon as my first tank, but I know myself well enough to know Ill probably get severely addicted and upgrade to a larger tank not before long..

Was thinking that if i buy a single A360x now it can be used for a larger system later. Possibly use the narrow reflector to avoid light spill for this tank, and mount the light high since the cube isn’t very deep. But before hitting the order button I want to ask you veterans if you think this is a bad idea. Can it be too intense of a light for a beginner?

For corals im planning on starting with the easiest stuff first, and I know a Kessil A80 would probably suffice for my needs in the beginning.

Thanks in advance, reefers!

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That light will be overkill for that tank. It's better to get something that's good for your application and then when you upgrade your tank later you can sell it back to the other people getting into the hobby and buy the upgrade. I would recommend a kessil A160 WE tuna blue for that size aquarium

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the A360X and I think your plan is fine. You can dial in both color and intensity. I did something similar on my QT. I did not use the narrow reflector, as this is a temporary tank. I had no problem QT corals and slowly raising intensity to acclimate. You can get more specific in your settings with the wifi dongle or the controller. It's a beautiful light. @Kessil ...Thoughts?

OP
OP
S

shaojinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You adressed one of my worries there: introducing/acclimating corals into the 20 gal tank with such a powerful light. I already bought the controller x so I guess I should be able to replicate what you did, ie slowly raising intencity in acclimation mode and making it work.

Another reason for me wanting the A360X is simply that I like getting the newest tech. I suspect I have that in common with alot of people here

Thank you for your input aswell. Living in Norway with no LFS even remotely close I appreciate being able to ask things like this on this forum. It seems like a great community here

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You adressed one of my worries there: introducing/acclimating corals into the 20 gal tank with such a powerful light. I already bought the controller x so I guess I should be able to replicate what you did, ie slowly raising intencity in acclimation mode and making it work.

Another reason for me wanting the A360X is simply that I like getting the newest tech. I suspect I have that in common with alot of people here

Thank you for your input aswell. Living in Norway with no LFS even remotely close I appreciate being able to ask things like this on this forum. It seems like a great community here
Welcome to the fishy family! It's a great light. The shimmer is beautiful. I have two on my existing 90 gallon, plus one on my QT currently. I am waiting on my new 72" DT and then I will transfer everything over - still debating on 3 or 4 of the A360X. I still have some learning to do (don't we all). Overall, it's fairly uncomplicated and I have had much success acclimating in the QT.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Go for the a360x with the 55 deg reflector. You can add in violet and it can be turned down lower than the A160. The A160 can only go down to ~13% power where the a360x can be dimmed to near 0. Here is a pic of my Waterbox 15 cube. At 50% int I am getting about 150-200 par at the bottom and 300-400 a few inches under the water in the middle.
1618326249944.png

OP
OP
S

shaojinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks alot guys, that looks pretty much how I imagined it. Im ordering the A360x with the narrow reflector, case closed.

I havent seen the kessil(or any other reef light) in real life but I keep reading the shimmer is really nice on these. I guess thats one of the reasons i am going for the kessil, I want it to look as nice as possible.

As for the arm I was thinking getting the extended rigid one which attaches to the stand in order to avoid having the screws in the way in the aio sump. Not sure if its worth it, but based on what I could see on YouTube the screws are pretty big and could be in the way if I want to use a skimmer or something in the back.

thanks again for the help

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
You could also unscrew the glass mount part and just attach it directly to your wall. May be easier to access the height adjustment screw if the stand is close to the wall.

Here is a pic from the forum:

OP
OP
S

shaojinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also unscrew the glass mount part and just attach it directly to your wall. May be easier to access the height adjustment screw if the stand is close to the wall.

Here is a pic from the forum:

Oh. I hadn't realised this possibility. Ty

Kessil

Aquarium LED lighting
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're just here to say that everything in this thread is accurate. I think the 360X now plan is the best way to go as it's more versatile than others.

Let us know if you have any questions long term, we'll help out how we can.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back