"Quit moving my frags!"

Princess Hockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been yelling at my tank a lot...or rather whoever keeps moving my frags around! Every day when we're on our way home, my husband and I play a little game of "guess how many corals got flipped onto the sand". It's driving me a little bit batty.

I got some loctite gel superglue and the bottle is already entirely empty. It seems to be hit or miss on whether or not its going to hold. Some of my frags are simply "placed" into holes in rocks and others I've tried to wedge in places, but I swear my snails and hermits are just trying to make me tear my hair out and overturn every piece of coral in my tank. In general, I have the most trouble with the zoa plugs because they're not glued down..they're just stuck into holes on a rock. Most of them are growing all over the frag plug so I didn't think I'd be able to remove them from their plugs to glue down anyways.

Any suggestions on how I can better secure these things? Coating the frag plug "stick" with superglue doesn't really seem to work since I'm dropping it into a hole that isn't tight fitting. Attached a picture of my most-throw-off-the-rock frags.

2018-10-03 15.02.48.jpg 2018-10-03 15.03.14.jpg 2018-10-11 17.53.27.jpg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit if 2 part epoxy and a bit of super glue works wonders.
The epoxy to fill the gap in the rock, and the super glue to hold it all until the epixe cures. There are several manufacturers of reef safe epoxy, but the only one that comes to mind immediately is made by 2 Little Fishies

OP
OP
Princess Hockey

Princess Hockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I snapped my torch off its plug today and stuck it into a hole. Moved my hammer all the way down towards the bottom since its on one of those larger frag discs that seems to flip over super easy. Easily the number one knocked over frag is this poor hammer.
2018-10-11 17.58.13.jpg

OP
OP
Princess Hockey

Princess Hockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Princess Hockey

Princess Hockey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup that one, or I believe they make a purple version as well.

Edit* be prepared, the skimmer may go a little bonkers just after using epoxy. Nothing to worry about, but it often happens
Awesome, I will give that a try! My rocks aren't purple yet but surely they will be eventually, so I'll go ahead with using purple. Do you find it easier to put it in the hole first versus on the plug?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I will give that a try! My rocks aren't purple yet but surely they will be eventually, so I'll go ahead with using purple. Do you find it easier to put it in the hole first versus on the plug?

I put a blob of epoxy on the frag so as to get good adhesion to the frag, plug, whatever, and then "stuff it in the hole" using any epoxy that squishes out to get a good grip on the rock. Works well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back