Quitting Triton Method for good!

FartyParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad! SPS arent cheap and that sucks too lose so many at once. It happens to us all at some point and we just learn and keep pushing forward.

On the Triton bottles (on the version I have, at least) it specifically says that the Triton method is not designed to be used with other two-part methods. Did you consider doing more passive actions such as small water changes throughout the week, instead of switching over to an incompatible method short term? Im just curious what your thought process was, as i may face a similar problem when i need to restock.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not think about doing a WC until after the fact when everything was dead. I would start looking into other dosing methods if I was you. I would not trust Triton.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't sound like the problem was the Triton method, it sounds like the problem was the alkalinity going from 8.2 dKh to 6.8 dKh overnight. No matter what "system" you're using, SPS aren't going to react well to that.

Triton definitely deserves some blame here. If you're going to create an all-inclusive system which requires customers to use your additives, you have to keep these additives in stock. Having multiple weeks where customers can't get your products is unacceptable. I think, however, it's a stretch to call the method as a whole "unreliable" or "untrustworthy." You said it yourself in the video, before changing to the B-Ionic, everything was fine. It was only after you stopped using the Triton additives and started with the B-Ionic that things started going downhill.

I'm not trying to kick you while you're down. I am truly sorry for your loss. I've had lots of SPS corals STN/RTN.. it's frustrating beyond description. I just don't think it's fair to call this Triton's fault.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped dosing Triton for a different reason, I was keeping my Alk at 8.2 and my Alk would drop to 7.6 which is normal as the corals would grow. I would make small changes (1ml), I have a 100 gallon system, to get my Alk back to 8.2. It would stay at 8.2 for a day or two and then jump to 9.9. I checked my doser to make sure it wasn't the issue, which it wasn't. I even recalibrated and rechecked. My NO3 and PO4 levels are low, I am using an ATS. I do have to add powdered mixes of both the NO3 and PO4. When my Alk would jump I would start to lose my SPS's. I would have to add more NO3 and PO4 to try to get the levels up. The first time it happened, I thought ok it's a learning process. The 2nd time it happened, I said I'm done. Back to BRS 2 part and the Balling Lite method I was using. I lost more SPS's since Feb 2018 when I started Triton vs years on 2 part. In addition, when I got my test results back, I was low on so many items. I thought that the Triton liquids were suppose to dose all of these. Instead I was then having to purchase more bottles to dose. Once my tank is happy again, I will run the Triton water test and see where the levels are at.

Rick H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began using the Triton method 6 weeks ago and my corals have not reacted well at all. I think I will go back to my prior method.

Rick H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I began using the Triton method 6 weeks ago and my corals have not reacted well at all. I think I will go back to my prior method.

Rick H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quitting this method also. In 6 weeks since switching over I have incurred more dead corals than I have in the 3 years since embarking on keeping a mixed reef tank. Very disheartening.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quitting this method also. In 6 weeks since switching over I have incurred more dead corals than I have in the 3 years since embarking on keeping a mixed reef tank. Very disheartening.
:( sorry to hear that. Welcome to reef2reef! Got any pics of your tank?

FartyParty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm curious, did you perform a major water change before switching?

ravi197699

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very sad to see that you lost some of your SPS due to alk swing, these companies put out products and then don't have enough in stock to keep up with demand and having product out of stock for weeks is not the way to do business specially when these are critical products that are required to be dosed on daily basis, I hope they are reading these comments from reefers.. that is why I depend on my Calcium reactor and if anything goes bad I have back up calcium reactor or dosing pumps standing by that I can start before parameters go south in my tank...

RoyinSpain

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched over to full Triton method when I changed up aquarium in June 2019. Bought extras of Triton materials in case. Am using Redsea Salt (standard, not pro). I have so far lost thousands of $/€ of sps through rtn/stn.... Tried various, large water changes, Triton ICP doesn't show anything out of order. 30+ years of reefing and I'm lost.
Recently started large water changes with NSW and things looking up generally, although still losing sps to stn/rtn....
Will continue with seawater changes, am using carbon in case there is something icp missed....
Next step will be to strip down and restart, using good old Aquaforest.. .
Frustrating isn't the word.. I want to know what's happening!

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NNR/Jaubert plenum method here..I don't add nuthin' and rarely do water changes. everything is happy...

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Esv 2 part on my 1 year old frag tank
Carx on my 120. Going to go carx on my frag soon.
Carx makes life simple and alk stays at 7.2. I will not run a large, over 100g, reef tank without a carx.
I have friends that run dosers and they prefer them over a carx.
Stability wins with whatever you run.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back