R.I.P. Hot Pink Wellso (almost)

  • Thread starter Thread starter nanodoc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

nanodoc

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 13, 2012
Messages
142
Reaction score
7
Location
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have posted this pic before when I just got this beautiful gorgeous hot pink wellso, with a luscious fleshy mantle and a neon green center.
Well, I first noticed some retraction of the mantle and exposed skeleton about 10 days ago. I looked for a solution of the problem, but there is not much you really can do. Day by day I see more exposed calcareous skeleton, and I am sure you know the feeling of seeing your prized frag dwindling away.
It has now about half of it's body left, still as vibrantly colored as before, so I feel as it is fighting for its life. sniff
I don't know if I should get my 22 out and send it to the great garbage can in the sky,or call in hospice. I still feed it everyday with some brine shrimp and pumps and lights off, hoping for a miracle. sniff
I am glad the crabs and hermit crabs have left it alone sofar.
anybody knows a remedy let me know fast:violin:
I will post a recent pic, but with a warning: it might be too graphic for children
pinkwellso.jpg
 
I would shade it if it were me and try to get it to eat. So sorry. :(
 
DSC01250.jpg

I am sorry to post gruesome pictures
it is not a wonderful picture but you can see over half is gone. I think tomorrow it is legally dead
there is still so much color in the remaining tissue it makes me sick
It is shaded by the clam
it is in the lowflow area of the tank
 
Sorry to hear that, Paul. I hope everything else is doing well. Did it happen right after you changed lighting or made any other changes?
 
Wow, what a shame! Did you attempt to dip it or anything? What are your water parameters? I think low mag will cause that.
 
Wow, what a shame! Did you attempt to dip it or anything? What are your water parameters? I think low mag will cause that.

Low alk is usually the cause of recession for me. Low mag usually leads to low alk
 
Wow, what a shame! Did you attempt to dip it or anything? What are your water parameters? I think low mag will cause that.
you know, I should have. I was at LFS picking up a bottle of Revive when I diverted my dollars to pick up an acro. What a ***** I am.
It might not have made any difference, but I should have.
It might be stung by my chalice. This morning I noticed the chalice had a web, yes a web of tentacles extending3-4 inches to my Miami hurricane acans,I tried to separate the two, and had some difficulty doing it. I hope it does not kill my acan too. It is now banned to a corner. Should have taken a picture but the light were off. I did not know it could reach that far
I dose Mag everyday a capful, I don't test Mag but do Alk andpH and Calcium,everything else is growing good. I might be wrong but I think it is hard to overdose on Mg, so I try to err that way rather than low Mg
thanks for the feedback!
 
Sorry to hear that, Paul. I hope everything else is doing well. Did it happen right after you changed lighting or made any other changes?
yes, happened about the same time
but would it react differently than the other corals to the light change?
 
yes, happened about the same time
but would it react differently than the other corals to the light change?

Some corals are more picky about light change than others, but I was just trying to see what changed that might have led to it's current state. If it were due to stronger lighting, then you could try shading it a bit from the stronger light. If it got stung, then that may be your main culprit. If you have time left, then try dipping it and isolating it from other coral.
 
DSC01251.jpg

I moved it to get a better picture, it is 75% dead and sloughing more.
I have never seena wellso this color and this bright, it just kills me that I couldn't keep it alive.
 
I have saved many LPS over the years, yours may be too far gone, but its worth a try.

first put it in a tupperware container, in the tank, lid off of course. once a day lift the container out of the tank, and feed the brain. at first its going to need very small stuff like reef chili and some cyclopees. put enough food in there that it cant help but eat. you want to let it sit, undisturbed, in a dimly lit room, long enough for it to start getting a feeding response. It may take several days in a row before it actually responds.

by leaving it in the tupperware, you dont disturb it everytiime you lift it out of the tank, and it will more readily eat. You will need to do this everyday for several weeks. after it starts extending some feeding tentacles, you can feed stuff like mysis and maybe rods food

you will also want to place it in low flow, and low light, let it rest up and use its energy for rebuilding.

Here is a picture of mine now, it looked very similiar to your after about a year of neglect in my tank

IMG_2272.jpg
 
Last edited:
I am afraid you are right, might be too far gone
But I thought, what the heck, nothing to lose. I put it in a betta tank with the smallest bubbler I got and loaded it up with food
thanks for the advice
I keep you posted!
 
you know, I should have. I was at LFS picking up a bottle of Revive when I diverted my dollars to pick up an acro. What a ***** I am.
It might not have made any difference, but I should have.
It might be stung by my chalice. This morning I noticed the chalice had a web, yes a web of tentacles extending3-4 inches to my Miami hurricane acans,I tried to separate the two, and had some difficulty doing it. I hope it does not kill my acan too. It is now banned to a corner. Should have taken a picture but the light were off. I did not know it could reach that far
I dose Mag everyday a capful, I don't test Mag but do Alk andpH and Calcium,everything else is growing good. I might be wrong but I think it is hard to overdose on Mg, so I try to err that way rather than low Mg
thanks for the feedback!

Correction:
now I think it is the miami acan. I reported thesewebs earlier,today my chalice is all fuzzy and dying too except e couple polyps, There is on head of the acan that is whitish but otherwise healthy. I think there is a vicious chemical warfare going on perpetrated by the ACAN. I always thought that chalices were the more agressive ones. I think Miss Wellso also died on the hands of Acan, they were all in the same 'hood.
miamiacan.jpg
 
So sorry for your loss, bud. I have lost so many corals, I'm just about ready to get out of corals all together.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new