R.I.P.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I accidentally killed my dottyback. :( I wanted to aquascape as my tank is new but completely cycled so I figured it’s better to do it now than in the future. It’s something I never got to do because I had two big pieces of rock just handed to me and I removed a piece of my rock but didn’t realize the little guy was still in there when I took the rock out. So lesson learned don’t try and break up your own rock/make sure all fish are out. Tell me what are some ways you’ve accidentally killed your fish/mistakes you’ve made?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Missed a black leopard wrasse a few years back. Added to the tank, dove into the sand. Haden't seen it in a few days, figured it was buried in the sand. Fast forward a couple days, and my overflow started acting weird. Opened the gate valve on the main drain line to find a black leopard flushed out and dead. Must have jumped over the weir into the overflow and down the drain line. My overflow now has a cover because of this.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost a couple due to jumping prior to having a lid.....also lost one in a pump that was shut off for feeding and I didn't realize he was hiding inside when they went back on :disappointed-face:

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RIP story.

I had just added a diamond spotted goby to my tank 5 minutes earlier. Decided to do a bit of glass cleaning, so I stuck my tunze magnetic scraper into the tank and started scraping the front glass. At one point I was scraping a lower section of the front glass and I did not happen to notice that the new goby was laying right next to the rock I was working next too. Next thing I know, the scraper had detached and fell away from the glass... it fell right on the goby laying there... which spooked the goby which then darted up... which then bumped the magnetic scaper back up, just close enough to the magnet on the glass and the whole thing slammed back together again, catching and cutting the goby cleanly in half by the scraper blade.... It all happened so fast, neither one of us knew what happened. it happened in the blink of an eye. never saw it coming. I was so upset.
I had QT'd that fish for 45 days and had just put him in the DT and 5 minutes later he was dead in a freak magnetic scraper accident that I couldn't replicate if you gave me 1000 more tries.

That was a sad day for me.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My RIP story.

I had just added a diamond spotted goby to my tank 5 minutes earlier. Decided to do a bit of glass cleaning, so I stuck my tunze magnetic scraper into the tank and started scraping the front glass. At one point I was scraping a lower section of the front glass and I did not happen to notice that the new goby was laying right next to the rock I was working next too. Next thing I know, the scraper had detached and fell away from the glass... it fell right on the goby laying there... which spooked the goby which then darted up... which then bumped the magnetic scaper back up, just close enough to the magnet on the glass and the whole thing slammed back together again, catching and cutting the goby cleanly in half by the scraper blade.... It all happened so fast, neither one of us knew what happened. it happened in the blink of an eye. never saw it coming. I was so upset.
I had QT'd that fish for 45 days and had just put him in the DT and 5 minutes later he was dead in a freak magnetic scraper accident that I couldn't replicate if you gave me 1000 more tries.

That was a sad day for me.
That’s a crazy freak accident. I’m so sorry that happened.

Back