R2R... I have a problem...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok...

So I come home this morning to find water on the carpet in front of my double tank setup. A quick examination showed that the polishing pad had clogged and water began flowing over the top of the sump.

But upon further examination, I found my 40 gallon top off reservoir empty! It appears that this had been going on all night. And as water spilled from the sump, it was being replaced with RODI from the reserve.

Gulp!

I knew my salinity was going to be low, but when I measured using a refractometer, it was only 10ppt!

Corals and Nems are unhappy to put it mildly, and over the course of the day, I have been adding quantities of salt diluted in RODI to the sump. As of this post, salinity is up to 23ppt.

I keep an emergency tank on standby. It currently sits at 35ppt and a temp of 75-76.

Should I move everything over?

Any other advice??

JCM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not, I'd keep raising it slowly as you're currently doing. A large immediate change will be more stressful than a gradual change.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back