R2R Reef of the Month Spotlight: Rob's 300g Deep Dimension - January 2018

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning tank fella.. very inspirational
This might sound a stupid question, but how do you use the miracle mud? is it simply all in a chamber in the sump or in several different trays in the sump and you swap one out periodically? A pic would be good...

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectacular... I've been following. Congrats on the feature.

Do you have any zoanthids? Or any other corals that your angels like a taste for? Or do the 3 or 4 feedings a day keep them from picking?
What ever zoas I have in there are almost gone, Trachy and Acans are a no go, but surprisingly they dont touch mushrooms, euphyllias, blastos, long or short plates or clams.

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really amazing tank! I was surprised to see you keep your alk at 7. Can you talk about why? Seems like most people run closer to the 9 range IME.

My corals in time have adapted to the low ALK and amazingly grow and have great color. I have tried to make adjustments and bring up my alk up slowly a while back, but the corals didnt like it too much. So I stuck with it and kept it there.

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning tank fella.. very inspirational
This might sound a stupid question, but how do you use the miracle mud? is it simply all in a chamber in the sump or in several different trays in the sump and you swap one out periodically? A pic would be good...
All in the chamber, and change out once a year. Caulerpa grow dense and fast. Here's a pic of my frag tank. I trim back every 2 weeks.
29475f9ba595bc36f867718f3945b7db.jpg

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! WOW !!! What an AMAIZING tank !!! ;Jawdrop

Haim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Robert,

Please let me know which media you use in the calcium reactor? Do you add also Magnesium?

Robs Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Robert,

Please let me know which media you use in the calcium reactor? Do you add also Magnesium?
Just regular crush coral from the lfs, I believe is around .99 cents pound. And I top is off with Brightwell NeoMag. Here's a pic of my Geo 418 for my frag tank, just filled it. You can differentiate the media inside.
b437c5de8bc03312b7bfe94d59559dde.jpg

Haim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just regular crush coral from the lfs, I believe is around .99 cents pound. And I top is off with Brightwell NeoMag. Here's a pic of my Geo 418 for my frag tank, just filled it. You can differentiate the media inside.
b437c5de8bc03312b7bfe94d59559dde.jpg
Thanks

BobSacamano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob, thanks for sharing your tank, it's beautiful. Also, really appreciated your thoughts on the art of reef keeping and how it's changed. I'm still very much a novice in the hobby, but I couldn't agree more with your opinion of letting the corals create the aquascape. That's what I hope to create with my upcoming tank.

Jmass015

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey awesome tank.I would love to see some up close pictures of your refugiums and skimmer.
Thanks

Wiskey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning Tank!! I love the look of carefully selected huge colonies, you are right that the look isn't as popular anymore, but I'll help you bring it back!

I was wondering about your 0.38 Phosphate reading. What do you use to test that? Has it been that high for a while? Do you have any algae problems? How often do you clean the glass?
My tank seems to do better when I don't try and be too controlling with phosphate levels, but I find constant reminders that higher phosphate levels than 0.03 are okay to be very helpful :)

Thank you! And thank you for the great write-up!
Whiskey

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning Tank!! I love the look of carefully selected huge colonies, you are right that the look isn't as popular anymore, but I'll help you bring it back!

I was wondering about your 0.38 Phosphate reading. What do you use to test that? Has it been that high for a while? Do you have any algae problems? How often do you clean the glass?
My tank seems to do better when I don't try and be too controlling with phosphate levels, but I find constant reminders that higher phosphate levels than 0.03 are okay to be very helpful :)

Thank you! And thank you for the great write-up!
Whiskey

One thing that you can also avoid by trying to control phosphate levels is paling/bleaching events associated with the use of gfo. I found out that my hanna ulr was testing 3x higher than actual. I had put gfo online thinking my phosphate was .28 when it was really only about .09. I ended up paling/bleaching some corals and couldn't figure out why (used 1/4 recommended amount, passively in a bag in the sump). That's when I bought new ulr reagents and another test kit, and sent a sample to triton. My corals looked great before but were growing slower than I liked and I assumed it was the "high" phosphate. I removed the gfo and it improved.

Use corals as the indicator, not a test. I wouldn't even use algae or cleaning the glass as an indicator. Some algae/bacteria/diatoms can grow just fine in a low nitrate/phosphate environment. Also nitrate/phosphate does not cover all nutrients. You can have a tank with low nitrate/phosphate readings but high nutrients. The ocean is the perfect example of this. Zeovit is a good example as well, but you don't need to carbon dose or be in the ocean for those conditions to occur.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back