Discussion in 'Reef Aquarium Spotlight' started by mdbannister, Jan 1, 2018.

R2R Reef of the Month Spotlight: Rob's 300g Deep Dimension - January 2018

I have been in the reefing hobby since 1996 close to 22 yrs. I've had freshwater aquariums since I was 7 yrs old, so I'm considered an old hand...
  1. Mortie31

Mortie31 Active Member UK Reef Club Member

Stunning tank fella.. very inspirational
    This might sound a stupid question, but how do you use the miracle mud? is it simply all in a chamber in the sump or in several different trays in the sump and you swap one out periodically? A pic would be good...

robert s b. likes this.

2. LJLKRL05

LJLKRL05 Active Member Build Thread Contributor Louisiana Reef Club

That is amazing!
    I'd like a frag of each please :)

Empress and robert s b. like this.
  3. robert s b.

robert s b. Active Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Build Thread Contributor

What ever zoas I have in there are almost gone, Trachy and Acans are a no go, but surprisingly they dont touch mushrooms, euphyllias, blastos, long or short plates or clams.

ReeferBean likes this.
  4. robert s b.

robert s b. Active Member R2R Supporter Reef Spotlight Award Build Thread Contributor

My corals in time have adapted to the low ALK and amazingly grow and have great color. I have tried to make adjustments and bring up my alk up slowly a while back, but the corals didnt like it too much. So I stuck with it and kept it there.

TheEngineer likes this.
  5. robert s b.

All in the chamber, and change out once a year. Caulerpa grow dense and fast. Here's a pic of my frag tank. I trim back every 2 weeks.[​IMG]

6. spyder813

spyder813 Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

!!! WOW !!! What an AMAIZING tank !!! ;Jawdrop

robert s b. likes this.
  7. Haim

Haim Member

Great tank indeed. what supplement you use to keep the colors of the acro?

robert s b. likes this.
  8. robert s b.

no supplements, Just a Calcium Reactor.

9. Haim

Haim Member

Thank you.

10. Haim

Haim Member

Hello Robert,

Please let me know which media you use in the calcium reactor? Do you add also Magnesium?

11. robert s b.

Just regular crush coral from the lfs, I believe is around .99 cents pound. And I top is off with Brightwell NeoMag. Here's a pic of my Geo 418 for my frag tank, just filled it. You can differentiate the media inside.[​IMG]

12. Haim

Haim Member

Thanks

13. BobSacamano

BobSacamano Member

Rob, thanks for sharing your tank, it's beautiful. Also, really appreciated your thoughts on the art of reef keeping and how it's changed. I'm still very much a novice in the hobby, but I couldn't agree more with your opinion of letting the corals create the aquascape. That's what I hope to create with my upcoming tank.

robert s b. likes this.
  14. Jmass015

Jmass015 Member

Hey awesome tank.I would love to see some up close pictures of your refugiums and skimmer.
    Thanks

15. Wiskey

Wiskey Member

Stunning Tank!! I love the look of carefully selected huge colonies, you are right that the look isn't as popular anymore, but I'll help you bring it back!

I was wondering about your 0.38 Phosphate reading. What do you use to test that? Has it been that high for a while? Do you have any algae problems? How often do you clean the glass?
    My tank seems to do better when I don't try and be too controlling with phosphate levels, but I find constant reminders that higher phosphate levels than 0.03 are okay to be very helpful :)

Thank you! And thank you for the great write-up!
    Whiskey

16. BigJohnny

BigJohnny Valuable Member

One thing that you can also avoid by trying to control phosphate levels is paling/bleaching events associated with the use of gfo. I found out that my hanna ulr was testing 3x higher than actual. I had put gfo online thinking my phosphate was .28 when it was really only about .09. I ended up paling/bleaching some corals and couldn't figure out why (used 1/4 recommended amount, passively in a bag in the sump). That's when I bought new ulr reagents and another test kit, and sent a sample to triton. My corals looked great before but were growing slower than I liked and I assumed it was the "high" phosphate. I removed the gfo and it improved.

Use corals as the indicator, not a test. I wouldn't even use algae or cleaning the glass as an indicator. Some algae/bacteria/diatoms can grow just fine in a low nitrate/phosphate environment. Also nitrate/phosphate does not cover all nutrients. You can have a tank with low nitrate/phosphate readings but high nutrients. The ocean is the perfect example of this. Zeovit is a good example as well, but you don't need to carbon dose or be in the ocean for those conditions to occur.

HolisticBear and robert s b. like this.
  17. LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide Active Member Build Thread Contributor

Absolutely beautiful tank. I appreciate the simplicity of the way you run this system, and your outlook on it. I agree that this is what a reef tank should aspire towards.

robert s b. likes this.
  18. DanConnor

DanConnor Active Member

Top 5 favorite sps in the tank?

robert s b. likes this.
  19. scott11106

scott11106 Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

this is one awesome tank, i am building a 300 g tank that i can only hope to be as nice as yours... great work

i just started my build as my house is being built so any help would be great, also i will be looking out for your new build

my thread:
    300 House and Reef build

robert s b. likes this.
  20. FlamingGrapes

FlamingGrapes Member

AWESOME!!!!

robert s b. likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted