R2R Sale forums going downhill since recent classified changes

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re already working on adding more photos correct? That may solve a lot of peeps problems.

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the advertisements for each sale item sorted? By newest listed, or by activity on the post? Ah wait, found it under the filter link

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does feel as if there is not much posted & hobbyist prices are becoming less often, with a lot of people asking near retail for things.

Overhead is not everything when it comes to pricing. Quality is king and hobbyist are giving you much better than anything an LFS can.

I would much rather buy a risk free coral that has been quarantined in a display tank (presumably pest and disease free by then) and acclimated to tank life, rather than something that was just plucked from the ocean and shipped overseas.

If they take the risk of buying a coral at retail and have to give it some TLC for it to look its best.. . they should charge whatever they want for it.

Last edited:

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like others I don't get the point of having sell threads posted in two different places. Prices and pics one place or the other.
Also, many of these "hobbyists" are way past being hobbyists. Many have hundreds of frags in growout. Dozens available at any one time. Threads hundreds of posts long. Direct competition to the forums paying vendors at near retail prices but without the expense of a website because this forum provides their site.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
IMO there was nothing wrong with the original system.
Plain and straight forward. Post your info, add pictures, and discussion all in one place.
Now the system generates 2 threads for each single sale thread? Why? Total waste.
Too many gimmicks and gadgets.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe R2R is trying to make a little bit of profit to help sustain this forum. While I don’t like the new sell/buy forum I totally understand. I think there is a long way to go until most people are happy (can’t please everyone) but I’m sure the team here will get there shortly.

Imagine a person selling hundreds of frags that is using this site for free and doesn’t give anything back (besides knowledge which is good but the people who run the site don’t benefit at all). If they go somewhere else (eBay/Facebook etc) they will have fees and be charged or possible face being banned (Facebook doesn’t allow live animals to be sold and can result in being banned).

I for one and please that they are at least taking feedback very well and are working to make it better instead of just sitting there and saying it is what it is.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe R2R is trying to make a little bit of profit to help sustain this forum.
Huh? This site has to be generating thousands a month. The list of sponsors is so long you can't even keep up with how many there are. This forum has turned into one big money making advertising platform. I think I counted 7 ads on one page the other day.

On topic, I don't get the classified vs marketplace drop downs at the top. I quit trying to browse what people are selling.

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe R2R is trying to make a little bit of profit to help sustain this forum. While I don’t like the new sell/buy forum I totally understand. I think there is a long way to go until most people are happy (can’t please everyone) but I’m sure the team here will get there shortly.

Imagine a person selling hundreds of frags that is using this site for free and doesn’t give anything back (besides knowledge which is good but the people who run the site don’t benefit at all). If they go somewhere else (eBay/Facebook etc) they will have fees and be charged or possible face being banned (Facebook doesn’t allow live animals to be sold and can result in being banned).

I for one and please that they are at least taking feedback very well and are working to make it better instead of just sitting there and saying it is what it is.
I get what you are saying but if somone was selling that many frags and making that much money, they should be classified as a vendor and have to pay those fees. Maybe if they go back to the original marketplace style they can come up with a better way of policing who is just a hobbyist vs “business”.

OP
OP
B

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For what it's worth, I suspect where we're headed here via the formal classified / listings capability, will be an eBay style fee per listing with perhaps a few free transactions each month. Probably a smart business move by R2R to generate new revenue stream, but not without potential impact to volume of listings / use of the sales forum. We'll see where this goes!

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh? This site has to be generating thousands a month. The list of sponsors is so long you can't even keep up with how many there are. This forum has turned into one big money making advertising platform. I think I counted 7 ads on one page the other day.

Okay but what if the extra money is used to better the site? You never know what someone is planning unless they come out and say it. I haven’t seen anything from @revhtree on this but you never know. Heck I don’t know this but maybe it means more giveaways for members of this forum or maybe they get a couple employees who are able to give something extra to the site. You never know where something is going.

Totroc3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The old method brought me to the site daily where I looked at the new posts to learn and many times I’d take a peak at items for sale. Now I find I only read certain posts when I receive and email about them and I hardly ever look for equipment or livestock anymore. My visits have become less and less frequent since the changes were made to the classified sections.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, many of these "hobbyists" are way past being hobbyists. Many have hundreds of frags in growout. Dozens available at any one time. Threads hundreds of posts long. Direct competition to the forums paying vendors at near retail prices but without the expense of a website because this forum provides their site.
I do have to agree with this. I do feel there are some hobbyists that are selling more as a basement vendor than hobbyist. Proving it is a different story but I think that’s why they changed it so they can better monitor who’s the basement vendor vs the hobbyist who just fragged his corals

ETA: I have noticed gradual improvements as complaints/suggestions have been made so if you have ideas, they are listening

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The old method brought me to the site daily where I looked at the new posts to learn and many times I’d take a peak at items for sale. Now I find I only read certain posts when I receive and email about them and I hardly ever look for equipment or livestock anymore. My visits have become less and less frequent since the changes were made to the classified sections.
Sad to say but I agree

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is critical to maintain a forum that allows for hobbyist sales and trades. This hobby has become far to Vendor / Profit crazy. Best thing about being a reef aquarium hobbyist is sharing / selling / trading with friends. No matter what, let's keep the hobbyist #1 priority, even if they don't pay lot's of money to place fancy advertisements.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you think part of it might be that people are finding it easier to sell locally - for more money - to their LFS? (Or trade)? I mean our local LFS are giving great deals for trade-in's because their costs due to shipping are so high? I admit - I do not know the 'rules' here. But - I also know - I'd rather 'trade' somewhere with 'rules' as compared to Facebook or somewhere like that. Just MHO
I honestly dont think it is. I am not a fan of the new classifieds and have steered clear of them. I agree it is probably a big part of change management and getting people through the process but i dont think that selling locally reaches the same target market as a R2R. I think a lot of this is just because 'it is different' and people have not adapted to the new process.

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly dont think it is. I am not a fan of the new classifieds and have steered clear of them. I agree it is probably a big part of change management and getting people through the process but i dont think that selling locally reaches the same target market as a R2R. I think a lot of this is just because 'it is different' and people have not adapted to the new process.
I don’t know if it’s the fact that it’s “different” it’s just much more confusing and less user friendly than the previous system

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an active R2R member and supporter for many years. I love this forum and community. One thing I love most is being able to buy, sell and trade with other hobbyists, but with the new classified ad design and rules, it seems there’s fewer threads being posted in the sale forums, and less discussion overall on those threads as a result. Many hobbyists who also sell overgrowth have told me they’ve left the forum in favor of other channels (Instagram, local forums, Facebook) because the new rules are too restrictive and cumbersome. I know it’s a delicate balance and R2R has to manage folks who cross that hobbyist line into commercial territory to protect its sponsors here and I’m confident that’s the impetus behind the changes, but I feel it’s having a more negative intent than planned. I miss the days of scrolling through and seeing lists of overgrowth that members want to sell at hobbyist prices…now they’re limited to 2 “active ads” at a time. And I fear this will result in many choosing other forums to post their sales, which means many of us will be spending less time here if looking at those posts is something we enjoy.

Anyone else feel similar or am I alone on this one?
I agree. I'm not a seller so can't comment on that part. Just from a viewing standpoint I don't like it. I honestly have a hard time figuring out what is for sale and amount. I've quit looking at that section now.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am an active R2R member and supporter for many years. I love this forum and community. One thing I love most is being able to buy, sell and trade with other hobbyists, but with the new classified ad design and rules, it seems there’s fewer threads being posted in the sale forums, and less discussion overall on those threads as a result. Many hobbyists who also sell overgrowth have told me they’ve left the forum in favor of other channels (Instagram, local forums, Facebook) because the new rules are too restrictive and cumbersome. I know it’s a delicate balance and R2R has to manage folks who cross that hobbyist line into commercial territory to protect its sponsors here and I’m confident that’s the impetus behind the changes, but I feel it’s having a more negative intent than planned. I miss the days of scrolling through and seeing lists of overgrowth that members want to sell at hobbyist prices…now they’re limited to 2 “active ads” at a time. And I fear this will result in many choosing other forums to post their sales, which means many of us will be spending less time here if looking at those posts is something we enjoy.

Anyone else feel similar or am I alone on this one?
I can agree.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it’s the fact that it’s “different” it’s just much more confusing and less user friendly than the previous system
I know right?!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back