rabbit fish, foxface or tang?

Bulletsponge

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would go fox face as a lot of people have good luck with them eating bubble algae as well. Most people will get it at some point so might be a good idea to be set up for success if/when it happens

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good experiences with foxfaces and masked rabbitfish.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't going to get a Fox face for my tank. But after seeing the results other folks have had with them... I got one..

OP
OP
S

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bubble algae, the type that look like tiny bunches of bananas. Will rabbit fish eat it?

Han

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bubble algae, the type that look like tiny bunches of bananas. Will rabbit fish eat it?

They may, but it’s not guaranteed. My foxface and masked rabbitfish both eat it.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept multiple types of tangs and foxface/rabbitfish (foxface is a type of rabbitfish). It is not really close, rabbitfish will out eat any tang. I currently have two scribbled rabbitfish, and they are incredible. They grow VERY QUICKLY, and need a constant source of algae to eat. All my tangs eat algae, but none of them eat as much as a rabbitfish, and the rabbitfish eat all the different types of algae that tangs/angels won't touch. Scribbled rabbitfish have proven reef safe for me, not all fish in this family are reef safe. One thing I didn't realize is how good of a job they actually do. You phosphates and nitrates can get crazy high and you would never know looking at the tank. Testing is critical because these fish can keep your tank looking immaculate.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface is good but they are shy and hide a lot. Mine ate bubble algae.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that rabbitfish are better than tangs at eating algae. I have an ORA captive bred scribbled / 2 bar rabbitfish that is a machine. They are newly available as a captive bred species as of a few months ago and are available on divers den.

reefs4life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I also vote rabbitfish, they definitely beat tangs on grazing and personally I feel like they have a ton of personality. I've had one ever since I got into the hobby and I still miss my very first one, he used to eat out of my hand every time, I'll never forget him. But as people have mention, a double bar I feel like is the most common and the one I've always had but there are fancier ones like an orange-spotted, blue-spotted or scribbled.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orange spot rabbitfish doesnt touch much algae but its one of the most peacful fish ive owned. Never fights with any fish and eats from my hand. Sometimes lets me pet him and the kids want to also. But make them wash their hands. Thinking of getting a second one so hes not bored. My tanks not showing his color so i posted an internet pic also.
20191014_130818.jpg
7455250414_cc3b4a7619_b.jpg

OP
OP
S

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That orange spot is some kind of beautiful! I wonder if orange spots have a reputation for not being the greatest algae eaters...

Does anything eat calcareous algae like Halimeda?

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had both a Tomini and Kole tang that have picked at Halimeda. Not devoured it like they do the red sea lettuce but have kept if basically in check. I would like to get both a Rabbit and a Foxface but my biggest tank is only a 75 and am concerned with having enough space for them.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are rabbit fish with acropora/ montipora and green corals like frogspawn?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are rabbit fish with acropora/ montipora and green corals like frogspawn?

I have a one spot foxface in one tank and a bicolored rabbit fish in another and they are both hoovers when it comes to algae. Both are model citizens around all corals hammers, frogspawn and any of my SPS. Keep in mind once algae is gone you have to supplement them with nori or algae pellets, etc...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 48 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.4%
Back