Rabbitfish - QT

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

So need some advice. I have 4 fish together in QT (TTM) currently on day 10 transfer 3. For the first week the Rabbitfish was perfectly fine, cruising the tank, eating everything. However 2 days ago I saw him basically stationary in the middle of the QT tank, breathing heavy (this was during the prazi treatment) and pooping which was white but not stringy. Since then he has been acting very strange and basically just hovering in the same spot and didn’t eat anything yesterday. I thought maybe he had some intestinal worms so this transfer I’ve started dosing kanaplex + metroplex to see if I can cover all basis. Note he didn’t have any visible issues when he first went into the tank

After watching him today im thinking he might have velvet. It’s really hard to tell because of his colours but on his front fins it looks like I can see some spots and around the dark spot near his eyes. He’s also covered in what looks like “fuzz” for lack of better word, or “furry” and hes been losing a lot of slime coat the last day or so.

Now the weird part is, no other fish (mandarin, cardinal and swallowtail angel) are showing any symptoms what so ever of velvet (just a little bit of lymph on the Angel which is not unusual)z They have all been in the same QT tanks for 10 days. Surely if this is velvet it would have spread?

To try and get a positive ID I went and bought two black mollies and have acclimated them and put them in with the fish to see if they develop any symptoms (I know this is not the most ethical approach) however I hopefully this will help me save the rest.

I am not keen on using copper and will only do it as a last resort and there’s no access to CP for velvet treatment in Aus sothat would be my only real option if it was velvet.

the pictures dont show anything but thought I’d include some for reference.

What does every one else think -do you think this is velvet or am I dealing with something else here? Usually TTM goes pretty smooth fish don’t show symptoms of anything. I know it isn’t ich as that should be no threat after 10 days plus they have gone through prazi and now metro so wouldn’t be flukes.

Any further advice on what my next moves should be -happy to provide more info

963BC191-7F65-4A04-80B4-D88DE929DBAB.jpeg
18B2E51B-91D6-44AB-BCD4-0BE561B4BAE1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thing I have noticed is he doesn’t camouflage at all anymore. I just want to check on them after lights out and he’s still in full colour and when I used to go up to the tank he would retreat and camo which is the normal response so his behavior has drastically changed the last two days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aussiemarine

Aussiemarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the morning the tank is a snow globe - basically it’s like he’s shedding his skin or something it’s bizzare. You can see how “fuzzy” he is from these photos. Honestly I am stumped as to what’s going on. I’ll need to get them out into new water as it’s gone super cloudy now. All other fish including mollies are fine.

Currently there is metroplex + kanaplex in the water

I’m thinking now this could be brook? It makes the most sense

C2660241-D4CD-4B33-B8CE-2967624EE54E.jpeg
AB8EA550-DA18-46D9-9C95-C7C3BE41DCB7.jpeg
27691B3E-DD3E-43F3-AE20-516617A74287.jpeg
62EBC8CE-1357-45AE-8464-DA2FD8599E81.jpeg
504A087E-B5AF-4CA9-9856-02F4C1385062.jpeg
7C7F2736-A79F-4201-8C38-01E41BFAF5B4.jpeg

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back