Radion diffuser

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Radion xr15 gen 4 pro over my 60 cube. A while back ago, I ordered the diffuser. I used it for a while because I liked the way it reduced the amount of light that scattered on the wall behind the tank. But I eventually removed it because the reduction in PAR bothered me a little. I’m not sure my corals were effected by it and I’ve since gotten used to the light on the wall.

Do any of you use the diffuser? Have you measured PAR with and without it? Have you noticed any change in your corals? I’m just curious.... I have a $40 diffuser that I’m not using only because I’m afraid of changing anything in the tank. Opinions?

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS TV has a video of this . The diffuser eliminated any hot spots and gave a more even distribution of par. While it did lower the initial amount of par , that can easily be compensated by raising the percentage up a bit as I doubt you are at a 100% .

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the sound of it I would be more worried taking it off than putting it on. FYI Brs rents Par meters to set your light up $40 also Seneye has this $200 and that has a light sensor. Good Luck
209522_seneye_reef-c.jpg

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just had a par meter and have a xr 30 G2 pro with the diffuser on my 35g cube that is 20x20x20
I am running my light at 85% intensity to get about 280par about 6" or so down in my tank where top of my rock work is.
I did a quick test and pulled them off and I believe it was like 25-30% reduction with the diffuser in place.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While investigating the purchase of a Radion, I saw on their website that the diffuser reduces light intensity by 25%.

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also had the diffuser for my 3 radion g4 pro lamps and have removed them again. the par reduction was just too high. I had to go from 80 to 100% total and that was still not enough for my corals

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also believe that these diffuser are something for g2-g3 lamps. The G4 with their lenses basically do not need them.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also believe that these diffuser are something for g2-g3 lamps. The G4 with their lenses basically do not need them.

I also think that myself
Add diffuser (- 25%) then also add a screentop (-??%) then dial it to ab+ which takes away 30%?.
I run on 100%/67% 20K with just screentop & have birdnest/stags that will grow to the surface(rms mounted)

MikeW9788

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I wasted my money:(:(.........................
You did not waste your money, I installed the diffusers from day 1. Tests show much more even par distribution and better color blending which is the weak spot of led. It eliminates the disco ball effect also.

Birddog

Hooked on Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll tag along here. I really need to purchase a Radion and test it.

I cannot believe you would have to purchase one of these fixtures. For all of the work, published documents, and research you have performed for everyone in the hobby... IMHO Ecotech should be falling over themselves to donate one to you!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diffusion doesn’t really cut light(for the most part) It scatters it. The reduction you see on a meter is because it’s being spread over a wider area. Reefers call It par distribution. We call it diffused.

The caveat being (my previous parenthetical) some light is actually being sent back up into the fixture as it’s reflected and lost.

The light as it’s now not as focused by lenses no longer “penetrates” as well into the tank. We call it fall off.

IMO , as this light is appearantly now reduced in intensity the trick becomes rebalancing the fields of light as they are now less focused and have an increased fall of twords the bottom. The Set up now becomes more similar to a t5 or common MH with a soft reflector. With higher intensity at the top and less at the bottom (that the projection of lenses provided).

IMO , for the most part(save extremes) the corals will adapt if the new ranges are only in the 25-75 par difference. Any adjustments really are likely to only need a slight bump in intensity to compensate for the loss at the bottom.

IMHO, it’s NBD. Just slowly bunp intensity to keep close to what you had at the sand and the coral at the top will likely adapt. Watch the corals more closely than the meter.

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two XR30 Gen 3 Pro's (over a 44 x 24 x 26 thank)and what i find most interesting is the rate in which everyone's intensity varies... 80-100% from some of these guys, are you kidding!?!?!?! I had mine at 75% and at that was cooking SPS (i found out). Downloaded WWC map only because lighting was the last variable as to why sps were dying in the tank. So WWC's map peaks at 35-40% i believe and SPS couldnt be happier in my tank now and zoas are also growing larger and coloring even more.

I agree along the lines with what Saltyfilmfolks says. The diffuser more or less distributes the light so you don't get as much separation of colors and less "disco ball effect" which a result is a loss of penetration. I do not use a diffuser and personally like the shimmer(disco ball effect).

I am very curious as i have never measured with a par meter what i run at but my lights are 9" off the water and at 75% it was obviously way to much.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two XR30 Gen 3 Pro's (over a 44 x 24 x 26 thank)and what i find most interesting is the rate in which everyone's intensity varies... 80-100% from some of these guys, are you kidding!?!?!?! I had mine at 75% and at that was cooking SPS (i found out). Downloaded WWC map only because lighting was the last variable as to why sps were dying in the tank. So WWC's map peaks at 35-40% i believe and SPS couldnt be happier in my tank now and zoas are also growing larger and coloring even more.

I agree along the lines with what Saltyfilmfolks says. The diffuser more or less distributes the light so you don't get as much separation of colors and less "disco ball effect" which a result is a loss of penetration. I do not use a diffuser and personally like the shimmer(disco ball effect).

I am very curious as i have never measured with a par meter what i run at but my lights are 9" off the water and at 75% it was obviously way to much.
A fwiw , percentage means nothing. Most led don’t track in intensity in liner way , it doesn’t account for mounting Heith , rock work and depth of tank, nor the number of fixtures being used as in the case of WWC.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

if you watch the videos they actually run the lights with an overall 67% intensity and no diffusers on the SPS systems along with T5 lighting and the fact they have ALOT of them on the systems. I have one G2 pro over my 20" cube and it has the diffuser and I am running at 85% to get 280 par at the 6-7" line under my water where my rock starts. Thats according to the Apogee mq210 I rented from BRS with the light mounted around 10.5" off the water. So it all depends on how you run the light. I mean I run a little more blue. with 100% all blue and 15% white and 10% green and red. So if someone comes along and uses something with more intensity from all the LEDS compared to me the over all intensity will be much higher par and could kill things if they ran at 85% overall intensity

Corey Baker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my point was missed i was simply amazed by the percent intensity some people were using. Originally i went that route and it did not work for me. With similar set up used as comparisons. Yes, i know height, number of units, scape, and so on would all have an effect, kind of a given... but to say percent means nothing is silly. It is obviously a point of reference and some measurable "intensity" or power being used by the LED. SO just to check the percentage displayed on a quick grab of my radion settings means nothing? good to know.....

I just find it interesting and i am curious with all the variation of settings and high intensities i see people using these lights and what my actual par numbers might be with my settings being so much lower but with the results i am looking for.

and back to diffussers..... Yea or Nah? haha

upload_2019-1-14_16-16-36.png

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my point was missed i was simply amazed by the percent intensity some people were using. Originally i went that route and it did not work for me. With similar set up used as comparisons. Yes, i know height, number of units, scape, and so on would all have an effect, kind of a given... but to say percent means nothing is silly. It is obviously a point of reference and some measurable "intensity" or power being used by the LED. SO just to check the percentage displayed on a quick grab of my radion settings means nothing? good to know.....

I just find it interesting and i am curious with all the variation of settings and high intensities i see people using these lights and what my actual par numbers might be with my settings being so much lower but with the results i am looking for.

and back to diffussers..... Yea or Nah? haha

upload_2019-1-14_16-16-36.png
Diffusers are great.

Grab an intensity meter (footcandle or lux , and start the % at 1 and scroll slowly to 100%. It’s not linear in most fixtures. Ie doesn’t always mean it’s double the intensity or par at 50 and 100%.
That’s worth considering.

A discussion on light intensity and nutrients may help with understanding range of light people use and how some run such high pars.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/h...d-i-dont-know-what-to-do.210035/#post-2401666

My work meter.
B1A06EFC-EC1B-4EB6-920D-20404D3A71DB.jpeg

The leds we use at work.
57D3075B-05F6-48A4-9140-C804C08FB25A.jpeg

We only diffuse it when working close to people for astetics , or to create a “look”.
This one is set up for punch at distance as the color and diodes will naturally blend with distance.
The “disco” is really weird on people’s faces btw.

The engineer here are or have been working out the software to make the linear track from 1-100% mathematicaly correct. Even though , like reefers , just eyeballing it kinda works too.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back