Radion diffusers question

75raycoupe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the group and fairly new to the reef game so thank you for entertaining my question. Using 3 Radion gen 4 XR15’s on my 75 rimless (standard 48x18). Curious on how much the diffusers will help/benefit the corals and or are they really game changers for the lights themselves? Thinking of investing. Thanks again for any thoughts or suggestions.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curved Orange transperant R2R 10-18-22.png

I do not have the answer for you. I would suggest to post over in the light forums for a quicker and better answer if you do not find you answer here.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
New to the group and fairly new to the reef game so thank you for entertaining my question. Using 3 Radion gen 4 XR15’s on my 75 rimless (standard 48x18). Curious on how much the diffusers will help/benefit the corals and or are they really game changers for the lights themselves? Thinking of investing. Thanks again for any thoughts or suggestions.
I find them to hinder the brightness a little. Id rather be without diffusers

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome! Glad you joined. Seems like you got great info already earlier in this thread. There are so many knowledgeable people here - it's my favorite place!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Hickory:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Upvote 0

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The diffusers reduces PAR by about 25%. In exchange you get:
Less color mix issues (disco effect goes away, BUT shadows will still be multicolored in places)
More even spread of light to the corners and sides of the tank.
Reduced shimmer
Actually it was only 6% when I par tested with and without 2 months ago but only on the AB plus setting at 100% schedule intensity. Obviously things like water clarity are relevant.

Upvote 0

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the diffusers on my Radions and they're great. While they do slightly diminish output, they provide a bit more spread and adjust the shimmer to a nice level. The PAR reduction is roughly 5-10%.

The biggest benefit is that they act as a "splash guard" for the lights against any excited fish!

8B8F798C-0376-485C-903E-F385EB37059C.jpeg

Upvote 0

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome to R2R! Here people tend to be helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. Hopefully you’ll start a build thread. We’d love to see your system as it progresses.

Although I personally don’t have experience with those lights there are many who do. As others have suggested there’s a forum here dedicated to lighting if you have questions about these lights or any kind of lighting.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back