Radion Frag Tank Spacing

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let’s assume you can hang your lights as high as you want and that the frag tank is set up completely for growing SPS. What is the coverage of a single Radion 30 Pro? For a 4’x8’ frag tank how many would you need to get around 400par?

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That is what I read but wanted to make sure the real world data supported this!

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like 8 yeah , the pros hang them @ 24" and shoot for 300's so they are turned down alot, its about the coverage , I would say your better going with new hydra 64 for the same price and more than double the coverage,

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like 8 yeah , the pros hang them @ 24" and shoot for 300's so they are turned down alot, its about the coverage , I would say your better going with new hydra 64 for the same price and more than double the coverage,
Although I know you are trying to help this data is a little misleading.

Here are results from Aquaillumination and the difference directly between the xr30pro and 64 hd. Pro wins in every category. I believe Both say spread will reach 36"

Hydras 64 is a great light but it still doesnt compare to the radions.

AI is made by ecotech so it's made by the same company as radion.

Both excellent choices but radion will out perform the AI and has same spread. Is it worth the extra at retail....probably not. But there are some on this site for 700 right now and you really cant best that!

Screenshot_20191208-065202_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191208-065207_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20191208-065214_Chrome.jpg

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what the chart says , but if he is doing SPS then the more diodes you have the less shading , that is all , it was not about peak output, total power ,or anything other than being able to get more bulbs over more area for less shading. I ran 2 g4 pro on a 24x48x16 tank , then I ran 2, 4 puck units so 4 pucks vs 8 and the SPS patterning and growth was insanely better just due to the lights placement vs the other (blanketing effect) , kinda like how photons and reefbreeders balck boxes blanket so well because there are bulbs everywhere

JohnnyKnuckles

FragTags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Prime HD's will be perfect but then again, when do we ever do anything just to get by. You'll end up sticking that third one in the middle just because it looks right...lol

JohnnyKnuckles

FragTags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has a 4'x 8' tank

lol.....Total mess up here. My kid was behind me begging me to cook cinnamon rolls and I lost total train thought. NanoDJS is right, you are going to need more, I assumed it was the normal 24x48 zoomed tank we all seem to love. Sorry about that

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know what the chart says , but if he is doing SPS then the more diodes you have the less shading , that is all , it was not about peak output, total power ,or anything other than being able to get more bulbs over more area for less shading. I ran 2 g4 pro on a 24x48x16 tank , then I ran 2, 4 puck units so 4 pucks vs 8 and the SPS patterning and growth was insanely better just due to the lights placement vs the other (blanketing effect) , kinda like how photons and reefbreeders balck boxes blanket so well because there are bulbs everywhere
In this case I'd go with 1 pucks spread over the length evenly. Like 15pros or primes hd Place apart this will achieve optimal spread and coverage.

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys I appreciate the responses. Based on the amount needed, I just don’t see the radions as the best option for lighting. With bulb replacements and the increased energy consumption, they still don’t come close to an ATI T5 set up. Infact I can build a 5’x12’ frag tank and light it with 4 ATI 8 bulb fixtures. The entire tank will be over 300 PAR, probably more like 400.

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart man , I was thinking t5 is def the way to go in this particular situation. Then even more coverage !!!!

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 Radion g3 pro in my 4’x2’ frag tank for sps. Two was not cutting it to provide even lighting. I run the sps ab+ program at 90% lights 16” off the water. Tank is 13” deep. I get about 350 par. The newer radions are more powerful I believe.

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should post the financials on this topic. Btw I am assuming after 4.5 yrs the lights you are using will begin to fail or be completely obsolete.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should post the financials on this topic. Btw I am assuming after 4.5 yrs the lights you are using will begin to fail or be completely obsolete.
That’s the tough pill that is hard to swallow on those. After 4-5 years or so, If they’re still working you’ll get about 25% ROI by selling them

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the tough pill that is hard to swallow on those. After 4-5 years or so, If they’re still working you’ll get about 25% ROI by selling them
Selling the Radions I think you are safe there on 25% residual value. I would argue that nicely kept ATI fixtures would also fetch 25% resale. However my friend has some Radions and he has some mortality after year 3. I have heard that ATI T-5’s go for ever. In the end different strokes for different folks. But having to use three of them in a 2’x4’ tank sealed the deal. Thanks guys for the input!!

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selling the Radions I think you are safe there on 25% residual value. I would argue that nicely kept ATI fixtures would also fetch 25% resale. However my friend has some Radions and he has some mortality after year 3. I have heard that ATI T-5’s go for ever. In the end different strokes for different folks. But having to use three of them in a 2’x4’ tank sealed the deal. Thanks guys for the input!!

You’re right on that end, and the ati fixture does have regular upkeep required. Bulb changes every 12-24 months depending on how far you want to stretch it, and the reflectors become heavily tarnished at about the 5-6 year mark typically and need replacing. Fans and ballasts go out as well.

I think it’s a big topic on why people replace their lights. I think most often people sell their lights out of boredom. Which case On my modest budget, id side with smaller investment small return over massive investment small return. I see the hobby from my own point of view though.

I can tilt my head and sort of reason as to why someone would do it differently than me though

OP
OP
Lousybreed

Lousybreed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Precisely. And noted on the ATI. I appreciate it. The difference for me is the T-5 fixture like you have stated can we worked on. If you fry some of the fancy electrons on a high end LED light you cannot fix them. And who really has the skills to replace a bad LED on those tiny boards?

Back