RADION G4 switch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of switching from 3 kessel 360s to the new G4 Radion. Tank is a red sea reefer 525xl. 59x22x22.

Would I need 3 xr30s, maybe 2 and a 15, maybe 4 15s??

Thanks.

Mixed tank with some sps

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if money isn't an issue I would go for 4 xr15's however that said I'm running three xr30 gen2 pro and they give good coverage so three Gen4 would be plenty..

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 15s are same price as 2 30s

It that case it would be 4 xr15's if I was buying again.... Wait and see if a few other members comment but that's what I would do.

Don't forget to post some pictures once the lights are up ether way :)

gashunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking of upgrading from my xr30 gen 2 pros to the gen 4 is it recommended?

CJBuckeyes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do two xr15s in place of each xr30. The pucks are too close together in the xr30, this will give you much more flexibility to tune your lighting without any additional cost.

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the spec sheets the xr15pro gen4 have the same 60cm square coverage pattern... Meaning you would techincally have 2400cm over a 1500cm tank giving loads of cross over and at three points of Higher PAR where the spread mixes... That's what i was thinking around the 4 xr15's...

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking of upgrading from my xr30 gen 2 pros to the gen 4 is it recommended?

Right now are your Gen2pros working and growing corals?? I would imagine the answer would be yes as I Love mine.... So my answer would be no.... No need to rush and upgrade.... If however you are near to the end life of the lights they are no calibrating properly have been run high. All their life and are not as realisable as they once where... Then Yes My money would be on the Gen 4's but is the xr30 the right version... I would give some serious consideration to using xr15pro gen4 instead two of them for a single xr30 of course...

gashunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now are your Gen2pros working and growing corals?? I would imagine the answer would be yes as I Love mine.... So my answer would be no.... No need to rush and upgrade.... If however you are near to the end life of the lights they are no calibrating properly have been run high. All their life and are not as realisable as they once where... Then Yes My money would be on the Gen 4's but is the xr30 the right version... I would give some serious consideration to using xr15pro gen4 instead two of them for a single xr30 of course...
thank you! yes my light is still running excellent okay so should i consider upgrading to gen 3 bulb pattern with maybe tir lens?

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you! yes my light is still running excellent okay so should i consider upgrading to gen 3 bulb pattern with maybe tir lens?

If I remember correctly the Gen2pro comes with TIR lenses as standard but you could upgrade to Wide TIR lenses if you are looking a better blend of colour. These lenses will mean you have to raise the total output of the light by about 15% to compensate for the spread... But you do blend better. Gen2pro to Gen3 for me just isn't worth it unless you have a really deep tank or are changing stocking plans to SPS and you need more PAR lower down the tank.. The Gen2pro I think on some channels is actually more powerful than the standard Gen3 anyways...

I have a simple plan and for the first time I am sticking to it.... Once my current XR30 gen2pros fail me and only at that point I will be going out and buying 4 xr15pro Gen4.... Or a big lotto win means I can do it sooner and pass on my lights to a new home... Hahaha

gashunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay thanks! im alrdy running my lights at 100% intensity so having to up the output wouldnt really have a affect if im right ok so just leave my light alone is what your saying lolw and its alrdy growing sps good def on the sand bed ;) but once i win the lotto your saying the xr15s are better then the 30s eh

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay thanks! im alrdy running my lights at 100% intensity so having to up the output wouldnt really have a affect if im right ok so just leave my light alone is what your saying lolw and its alrdy growing sps good def on the sand bed ;) but once i win the lotto your saying the xr15s are better then the 30s eh

Not better as they are the same of course but offer greater flexibility because you can move each puc on its own.... I love that idea for years one of the issues with the xr30 design has been that the pucs are too close together now that's not a problem anymore... Haha

gashunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rite thats what i was thinking thank you again! for the input i havent been able to get a answer since they came out lol :)

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what you guys think for an 80 gallon shallow sps tank..not trying to hijack but i can get my hands on a couple gen 4 so was just wondering

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back